• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Sweet Blue and a Stick Burner Question

Midnight Smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Thinking about doing a full wood cook on the Bandera, it will be my 1st time using nothing but wood. May do Ribs or maybe a Butt. I have some nice sized logs of Mesquite and Pecan.

Just wondering about adding logs during the cook. How do you not end up with bitter smoke while the added logs get going?

Is it better to use Logs that are cut into chunks rather than full logs?

I like to use small logs, not chunks they burn too fast.

I never cook 100% wood, as I always start with a charcoal base and then add logs on top.

I build a log cabin type affair in the fire box with logs to be used later stacked crossways on lower logs. Minion method on bottom with charcoal.
Set right, it will get me about 1/2 through the evening before I have to start adding fuel.

Yes pre-heat logs on top of firebox, and dont toss too much in at a time, or u will smother fire and really smoke

As mentioned, pre-heating some logs on top of the firebox really helps them ignite once you toss them in.
BE CAREFUL - as they can catch fire in the pre-heating location.
Use standard, split seasoned wood, not chunks.
Also, never let your fire/coal bed get too weak/cold. Keeping a good hot fire going will ignite that next log fast with minimal smoke/smoldering. Go for it! Good luck!!

Yah I never go 100% wood. I go with small logs and a chimney of charcoal to start. Mix of apple and oak. I usually start with 2 small logs and go from there.

Thanks for posting this question, Midnight Smoke. Please let us know how it comes out. Many thanks to all of you who responded. I have never used all wood in my Bandera but I was wondering if I should. I'm still learning how she likes to cook and this post was just what I needed.

I start with 3-12" splits; 2 on the outside and 1 furthest from the opening to the cooker ~ something like this: |_|. Then I fill it with a chimney of lit charcoal and wait for her to come up to temp. Going forward, nothing but preheated oak and cherry splits 12" to 14" long. I usually have to add 1 or 2 splits every 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the weather. When I do add, I continue the |_| pattern keeping the coal bed contained right at the opening to the cooker. If I do it right, I have a small, hot fire and nothing but sweet blue. :thumb:

The size of your splits will be a huge factor also. For the Bandera, I'd go with a little smaller than forearm thickness and preheated like said before. They'll ignite much faster and burn cleaner. And yes, as mentioned, keep a good bed of coals going. If it get's to low, add some lit charcoal to get you back. Putting wood on a low bed of coals can create a lot of excess and thick smoke.

Terry, I can tell you with some certainty that you can do a full wood cook on that Bandera. You should preheat the splits on the fire box as suggested above. Ideal size would be 12 inches long and the width of a V8 can. Even when doing an all wood cook, I would often start with a bed of charcoal or a mix. Not a requirement, but an option.

I can also tell you with some certainty that if you leave that wood on the firebox of that Bandera, and, you know, "take a nap" that it may ignite. :oops:.

Have fun, you can certainly get clear blue smoke from an all wood cook on it. If I were you I would do ribs and enjoy an afternoon of cooking on it. Maybe even direct grill chicken on it after you are done with the ribs.

Do you have to split wood?

I have some maple branches I trimmed off a tree 3 weeks ago. It's young enough wood it doesn't have mature bark on it yet, but the size seems perfect for my smoker. Will the young bark be problematic?

I'd rather not stare at the pile for a year if I won't get good flavor off it come next spring!

IMG_4659.jpg

Do you have to split wood?

I have some maple branches I trimmed off a tree 3 weeks ago. It's young enough wood it doesn't have mature bark on it yet, but the size seems perfect for my smoker. Will the young bark be problematic?

I'd rather not stare at the pile for a year if I won't get good flavor off it come next spring!

IMG_4659.jpg

Here's what I've learned about limb trimmings. In my observation, they take longer to season that a split piece of wood that's much bigger in size, thickness wise. The reason for this is because there is little exposed surface area of the wood because the bark surrounds it. The only place the moisture can escape easily is the ends. When it burns, the bark also traps the moisture inside the wood as it heats and creates steam, which is that hissing sound you hear coming from wet wood. The bark that surrounds the wood only makes the problem worse IMO.

So, in my opinion, I would either split the wood, or cut it into smaller chunks to create more surface area for the moisture to escape and use it in a WSM (or similar smoker), or as an accent flavor on the grill.

Thanks, Carolina Que. That makes some smart sense. I think this may either end up in the fire pit or the Weber Kettle.

Either that or it'll be ready for football season 2013!

What I have done with larger limbs like some of the bigger ones in your pic is just oben the center of the wood with a hatched (and a hammer if you need). Some times, I just don't need more chunk, and I don't want to wait for the wood longer than needed. By opening the middle up, and not splitting all the way through, it will burn longer than the half of it and you get the surface area exposed to dry it out enough.

Terry, I can tell you with some certainty that you can do a full wood cook on that Bandera. You should preheat the splits on the fire box as suggested above. Ideal size would be 12 inches long and the width of a V8 can. Even when doing an all wood cook, I would often start with a bed of charcoal or a mix. Not a requirement, but an option.

I can also tell you with some certainty that if you leave that wood on the firebox of that Bandera, and, you know, "take a nap" that it may ignite. :oops:.

Have fun, you can certainly get clear blue smoke from an all wood cook on it. If I were you I would do ribs and enjoy an afternoon of cooking on it. Maybe even direct grill chicken on it after you are done with the ribs.

Are you sure you are qualified to offer cooking advice on this type of Smoker? :wink:

For those of you that do not know, I got this Bandera from G$. He gave it to me about a year ago, how is that for a Brethren? :thumb:

Question G, I filled the Water Pan with silica sand, do you think that is a good idea or should I use water?

I do think Ribs will be on the Menu, if I can find some decent ones!

• Thanks
Reactions: G$
What I have done with larger limbs like some of the bigger ones in your pic is just oben the center of the wood with a hatched (and a hammer if you need). Some times, I just don't need more chunk, and I don't want to wait for the wood longer than needed. By opening the middle up, and not splitting all the way through, it will burn longer than the half of it and you get the surface area exposed to dry it out enough.

That's funny... about the time you were probably typing that I was thinking about drilling some holes in the larger pieces.

Thanks for all the info!

The biggest secret to stick burning is a HOT, clean, small fire.

I'm not sure I see that starting a load of charcoal then adding wood is NOT cooking with 100% wood. I mean I get that the charcoal is charcoal, but it's still wood.....sort of. I think the secret to getting a nice clean fire is a good hot bed of coals. You can either start a fire the "old school" way and let it burn down to a good coal bed or just light charcoal and you instantly have that coal bed.

Then after that, I add one log at a time. On my bandera style OK Joe, if I add 1 log about every 20 minutes, that's the sweet spot. As said, preheat logs on the firebox will prevent cooling the fire down when adding them and help them to ignite right away.

I think that the other very important part of a good clean fire is AIRFLOW. I like to leave my exhaust vent 100% open and regulate the airflow with the intake only. This ensures that the fire is getting fed with good clean air all the time. Instead of an intake that's more open then choked down on the exhaust end, which tries to cool/hinder the fire, keeping the exhaust open will SUCK in that air right to the fire, keeping it hot. This also creates a nice swirling, quickly moving airflow in the cook chamber (think CONVECTION) which will cut down on cook time and ensure that the smoke is QUICKLY moving through.

I like to add logs whenever I see no more smoke. So, when the fire stops puffing smoke, add a log and note the time. Then (as long as logs are consistent in size and moisture) you'll have an approximate timing for adding logs.

If I had more time on my hands.....I'd use the stick burner all the time. I REALLY like going all wood. To me....it's the purest form of BBQ cooking. It was my biggest challenge and biggest satisfaction when I figured it out.

Good luck Terry!

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};2054626 said:
Question G, I filled the Water Pan with silica sand, do you think that is a good idea or should I use water?

FWIW, I never used sand in the pan. Not saying that is right or wrong.

I either ran it with water or empty. (Or water not refilled once it ran out).

If I recall, you put a good baffle in there, which mitigates the need for water/sand to some degree.

Back