rib question

BigdogKC

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Here is what I did... Irubbed three racks of ribs last night with a commercial rub. Ilet them sit in the fridge over night and threw them on this morning. I did the 3-2-1 method, but shortned it a bit. After an hour and a have a mopped with a mix of butter, oil, apple juice, and more rub. I wrapped in foil with more of the mopping sauce for a couple hours, then I coolered them. They were a hit, but I was dissapointed. They didn't have as much flavor as I thought they should. They were great as far as tenderness, but I thought it should have had more flavor since I used the commercial rub.
Anyway what should I have done differently?

Well, first if you shortened it, you didn't do the 3-2-1 method.

If you tell us what type of pit you smoked them on along with wood and what rub you used we might be able to help you.

My first inclination is you didn't get enough smoke and well sounds like you just steamed them.

Give us more details.

Well, first if you shortened it, you didn't do the 3-2-1 method.

If you tell us what type of pit you smoked them on along with wood and what rub you used we might be able to help you.

My first inclination is you didn't get enough smoke and well sounds like you just steamed them.

Give us more details.

I only shortned it by 15 minutes. They were pulling back, so I went a head and wrapped them. I used an offset that I bought from the home depot. I can't remember the name of the rub, I will post that when I get home. I used charcoal and threw on some apple wood chips.

Sounds like you did not give them the most important part, the first 3 hours in the smoke and then did not do the 1 hour back outside the foil. This is very important for getting the right flavors. The middle 2 hours are the tenderizing part, which I believe you did well.

How much mop did you use? It is possible that the mop washed off the original rub. Also, did you add anything to the foil when you wrapped the ribs? Adding some apple juice or honey or even a little sauce can help add flavor.

How heavy or light did you coat the ribs with the rub initially ?

Some people coat very lightly others, coat until you can't barely see the raw meat. That could also have an impact along with the other things already mentioned like brand or rub, wood etc.

I only shortned it by 15 minutes. They were pulling back, so I went a head and wrapped them. I used an offset that I bought from the home depot. I can't remember the name of the rub, I will post that when I get home. I used charcoal and threw on some apple wood chips.

Some wood chips tossed on charcoal probably won't give you the smoke flavor you desire. Maybe try wood chunks next time.

i guess I'm not clear on exactly how you cooked them. What smoker did you cook them on? What temperature? What wood chunks? Were they spares or baby backs? Did you remove the membrane?

It sounds like you foiled them after one hour from your description and didn't put them back on the smoker for the last hour after you foiled them?

I used a Char-Broil Silver Smoker - I rubbed the heck out of them the night before, plus the mop I used had more of the rub. When I wrapped them I mopped again, plus I added apple juice. I do not think I mopped off the rub. The rub I used is called "Big Bob Gibsons". The only thing I did different than normal, was not finishing on the smoker with sauce on. Unfortunately I was taking them to my Uncle's house, and I didn't think it would work out too well if I did that and then let them sit for an hour in the cooler. I was hoping that I did something else wrong, but it is looking like that was the issue, because they were excellent when we dipped them in a bit of sauce.

Just my $.02, but I don't like rubbibg ribs too far in advance. I rub mine, go get the cooker ready, and put the ribs on when the pit is up to temp.
I cook mine on an offset in a rib rack, and don't bother mopping or foiling and to me (and brother Coz) they turn out great.

Sounds like you did not give them the most important part, the first 3 hours in the smoke and then did not do the 1 hour back outside the foil. This is very important for getting the right flavors. The middle 2 hours are the tenderizing part, which I believe you did well.
I agree....very important part.

I like to add sauce to my ribs. I actually glaze them right at the end with a mixture of honey & sauce.

If you want more smoke flavor...add more smoke (chunks, chips, etc.). If you want more rub flavor...add more rub.

FWIW, I like Bib Bob Gibson products (especially their Championship Red Sauce).

Back