Chili help

J

Jdman4x20

I am looking for a good chili recipe for a church function. Does anyone have one that they will share?

Thanks

Yeah, theree are a few around. I hope you don't end up with one of those "the more work you put into it the better it must be" recipes. Chili is simple. It's easy. You shouldn't have to do a lot of work to make a good pot of chili.

While I agree with Boshiz's premise, one must define chili when seeking recipes. Are you looking for hot dog chili, cold weather chili, or a chili that will leave folks begging for more?

I have a recipe that I could share, but it takes five hours to cook and isn't cheap. But it has won many local contests and is in high demand by friends and family. I would cook it for a church function, but only because I like seeing folks taste something over the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Google Egret's chilli.A PITA to make but the BEST I EVER taste'/red.my puter keyboard is jacked up!

BEWARE,,it IS SPICY,may want to omit some of the hot stuff for the masses.

You really opened up the proverbial can of worms with this thread.

I have eaten thousands of bowls of chili, and most of them have been good, and all of them have been different.

My own chili is a simple mix of crushed tomatoes, diced onions, garlic, chili powder, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, and either diced or ground beef. I alter it with whatever fresh herbs I happen to have growing at the time. There is no recipe, I just shoot from the hip.

To me, the beauty of chili is that it is never the same from one batch to the next, depending on what is available at the time. It is working-man food. You cook what you got.

Chili is blue-collar food. There are a lot of ways to make good chili.

CD

You really opened up the proverbial can of worms with this thread.

I have eaten thousands of bowls of chili, and most of them have been good, and all of them have been different.

My own chili is a simple mix of crushed tomatoes, diced onions, garlic, chili powder, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, and either diced or ground beef. I alter it with whatever fresh herbs I happen to have growing at the time. There is no recipe, I just shoot from the hip.

To me, the beauty of chili is that it is never the same from one batch to the next, depending on what is available at the time. It is working-man food. You cook what you got.

Chili is blue-collar food. There are a lot of ways to make good chili.

CD
CD is almost right...but he forgot the beans...

:fear:

Search Saiko's Chile. There is a great recipe here....just have to hunt a a little

I'd paste the. Link but my phone is not cooperating

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks,
I am looking for one that I can feed a crowd that in not to spicy and has meat and beans.

Jd

10 cans of wolf chili, 2 qrts beef, stock 1/2 gal pace salsa, 1 /4 cup cocoa powder, beans of choice. Mix at home they will never know,

Wampus's Big Boy Brisket Chili

Ingredients
2 lbs smoked brisket point meat, fat trimmed and cubed to about 3/4" (I usually just use the meat from 1 point, but it ends up about 2 lbs +/-)
2 pounds COURSE ground beef chuck (ask your local meat department for "chili" or "course" grind. It's when they run it through the larger plate only)
1 pound bulk country sausage
3 (15 ounce) cans mild chili beans, drained
1 (15 ounce) can spicy chili beans
2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 large yellow onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 green chile peppers, seeded and FINELY chopped (I usually do jalepenos, but have done serranos too)
1 tablespoon bacon bits
4 cubes beef bouillon
1 bottle of dark beer
1/4 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce (I usually use Tabasco)
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 (10.5 ounce) bag corn chips such as Fritos (optional for serving)
1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese (optional for serving)
Sour cream (optional for serving)

Directions

1. Heat a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Crumble the ground chuck and sausage into the hot pan, and cook until evenly browned. Drain off excess grease.
  2. Pour in the chili beans, spicy chili beans, diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Add the onion, celery, green and red bell peppers, chile peppers, bacon bits, bouillon, and beer. Season with chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, oregano, cumin, hot pepper sauce, basil, salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika, and sugar. Stir to blend, then cover and simmer over low heat for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
  3. After 2 hours, taste, and adjust salt, pepper, and chili powder if necessary. The longer the chili simmers, the better it will taste. I usually slow cook it for AT LEAST 3 hours. Add in brisket meat at VERY END to warm through only (usually last 1/2 hour will do it). If brisket is added too soon, it will crumble and fall apart.
  4. To serve, ladle into bowls, and top with corn chips, shredded cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream.
This chili was developed from another recipe that I tweaked here and there enough to call it mine. It's not a HOT chili, but it does have a little back end heat. If you like it hotter, you could leave in the pepper seeds and veins, but my family loves it this way and they don't do HOT, so it's just right for us. My mom even loves it and she is NOT a spicy food person. I think it's got a great balance.

We were just talking about chili this weekend. Got to make up a pot of this soon. Thanks for the reminder!!! :thumb:

Back