Competing Alone

jaestar

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I normally do all the cooking by myself, but have friends around to run the boxes to the turn in area. It looks like I will be competing alone this weekend and was looking for some advice. Would it be out of line to ask for a spot close to the turn in area when I arrive on Friday or ask the reps if they know of someone willing to be a runner at the cooks meeting? Thanks!

Get to contest early let rep. know you want a spot close to judges tent. Put the word out you need a runner. I work for beer.

Definitely both good ideas. Nothing wrong with asking for a closer spot or getting help running. Though have a back up plan if neither can happen :razz:. I did one competition last year completely by myself and while I didn't have help with the running it is still very doable without missing a beat if you have the timing down right.

I think the organizer normally does any site assigning, not the reps.

I would not wait till arrival to ask--I would do it now so whoever does assignments can have time to accomodate you if they can.

I have asked for "special" spots a couple of times for things like mentoring a new team.
Organizer has always come through.

Good Luck at the contest.

TIM

It's a rare event for me not to cook solo. I always ask the organizer on the application to place me close to turn ins. Most of the time, it works!

Contact the organizers, they should be able to help you out. If for some reason they are not able to, as of Friday, there are 27 teams signed up. Given where they are placing us, it should be a relatively short walk for everyone (< 1 min). Pretty manageable running solo. Hope to meet you there!

Echoing what Ryan said, you should be fine this weekend. Seems like a small enough venue. Just make sure you're watching that damn clock since no one will be there to yell at ya! :thumb:

Thanks for all the responses. I sent the organizers an e-mail and they were going to try to get me close. See ya Friday!

Also make friends with your neighbors. It is not against the rules for a runner to turn in a box for two different teams at the same time.

Good Luck jaestar!!

I would see if you can get a friend who understands what is at stake to do the box running for you. A second person to go along with the runner as a blocker or just to look out for rocks, holes, stumps, curbs, etc. is helpful.

And I HIGHLY suggest a padded, insulated carrier if you can get one.

-thooks

Get organized and watch the clock. Get your chicken in early and hopefully brisket will go in on time.

Back