Newbie To The Forum

B

BountyHunter

Hello All!,

Happy and healthy holiday to all of you. I'm part of thr bbqforum and was told about this one. I don't have much smoking experience but I'm getting pretty good so far. I've been mainly staying with chicken and ribs until I get the hang of my 3 week old pit. I have a 6ft southern yankee trailer mounted with all of the bells and whistles. I have one question though. I've been doing chicken and ribs about 4 times already. I have been buying the cheap pork ribs from sams and they come out great. This last time I bought baby backs and they came out tough as hell. I didnt do anything different than usual except used mesquite instead of hickory. I use the best ribs in the universe recipe every time. I also spray them with apple juice like every 45 minutes. Any suggestions?

Dan

God damn Dan.

You say newbie in your post, but then post a picture of a rig that is light years ahead of some of us (me)

Glad to have you here and please share, since others have expressed a desire to get a mobile rig like yours

Great looking rig Dan. Welcome to the group. I hope to have a need for a rig like that someday.

Hey Dan.. Welcome to our backyard!!

I only do baby backs. figure 4-5 hours at 250. Theres 2 schools of thought amongst us. The fall off the bone melt in your mouth ones and the competition style tug off the bone ones. I rarely have judges in my yard, so I like the fall off the bone ones. I douse them with cider vinegar and rub them down with the rub d'jour. Sit them for a few hours, but overnight in plastic is best. I cookem until the start puling from the bone about 3/8 of an inch. Spray often with a mixture of apple juice/bourbon/cider vinegar. 45/45/10%.
If your a foil advocate(I am). when they start to pull back, spray them real well, or sauce them if you use sauce(i dont). Foil them airtight and return to the heat for 45 minutes to an hour. doin it like this, you can flick the bones out of the ribs leaving a boneless rack intact.

Wanna make friends, put that boneless rack on a loaf of garlic bread and covered with sauteed/smoked onions.

Some of us also use the 3-2-1 method. 3 hours in smoke 2 hours in foil 1 hour in heat. I think this method is best for spares cause 6 hours is long for BB's. Bill uses that method, he'll answer up in the morning. I havent used it, but others claim great results.

The purist way, 5 hours for bb's at 225. Mop often, no foil, take them off when the need a slight tug to remove from the bone. Test with a fork or tootpick poked between the bones and it slips right thru the meat.

Welcome Dan -

I drive through Wilkes-Barre (I81) several times yearly. I'll have to come over and inspect the pit.

Don't forget the habanero glaze!!

Welcome to the group. Nice rig!! (I already hate your ass! Pit envy :D)

I agree with Phil -- the BBs were probably overcooked -- keep at it!!

Welcome to the group. Now how true is your handle compared to what you do for a living :?:

I think someone best be trailering that dang thing to Bash 3...

hey its one of my pits big brother---can anyone say devils spawn---sorry only joking but the pic is in the for sale section. The new BWS comp model should be heading north as we speak

Buzz

I never got back to this thread. Sorry Dan.

I agree with Phil, but with a caveat. He and I have kids in the same age range (5-13). Finicky eaters. They like fall off the bone ribs. Not competition style, where a little tug is required.

Now your cooker puts you light years ahead of me, but in my simple old Bandera, I use the 3-3 method (adjusted from the 3-2-1) for spares and the 2-3 mthod for baby backs.

So here it goes.

Spares:
3 hours in the smoke, spraying with anything (last weekend was a KoolAid fruit punch pouch from my kid, poured in my sprayer, the added some pickle juice (90/10)) Wrap them in foil (to some of us, foil is a tool. For some purists, its a crutch. My opin: If it works...use it) Throw on another 3 hours. (the 3-2-1 method implies the last hour os for sauce. I like to serve with dipping sauce on the table, cuz I find most dont want sauce cuz it ruins the flavor). ***Key*** as you wrap, spray the POOPIE out of it, so it has plenty of moisture in there)

Baby's:
Same as above, but wrap after 2 hours, spray the POOPIE out of it while wrapping, then in for 3 more hours.

Pit temp on both is kept at 240 or so.

Last week, we were full, so we put the bb's in the cooler with the loain and beef roast. took out 2 hours later. still warm.
Dreamland to dip in, and my 63 year old father in law nearly gasmed while eating the slab. Bri would say, knock dick in dirt good.

So welcome Dan, and don't be intimidfated to post, cuz it looks like you (tool wise) know more than alot of us, me included.

Awesome rig Dan!! Welcome to the group. The difference bwtween men and boys is the price of their toys!

Welcome aboard, Dan! You've found the right place to "cuss and discuss" bbq and whatever else might cross your mind. Very nice looking smoker! One day when I grow up, I'm hoping my wife is gonna let me get one too...LOL.

Back