Cooking a brisket

Hey guys, I really appreciate the help. I haven't been very clear. The internal temp of the meat was 159-160. The thermometer on the lid read 220-230 throughout the cooking. Someone asked about the temperature of the grill plates, I think. Do you guys measure that? If so, how? Thanks again!

If you cooked if for 18 hours at 220-230 and your internal temp only read 159/160 I'd say you have faulty thermometers. just my 0.02.

If you cooked if for 18 hours at 220-230 and your internal temp only read 159/160 I'd say you have faulty thermometers. just my 0.02.

How do I check/fix it? Any ideas...???

you can check your thermoter by boiling water and putting the thermometer in it. It should read 100C or 212F at sea level.

I second a thermapen would help get the blue one. :lol:

Hey guys, I really appreciate the help. I haven't been very clear. The internal temp of the meat was 159-160. The thermometer on the lid read 220-230 throughout the cooking. Someone asked about the temperature of the grill plates, I think. Do you guys measure that? If so, how? Thanks again!

That's the most critical temperature to check. Most harware stores have some oven thermometer around $5.00 and you should have at least two. Calibrate or change your other measuring equipment if needed, but check the grate temperatures first. Hope that helps ya.

Oh, forgot. If you have a remote therm, you can cut a tater in half, stick the probe through that (make sure the probe isn't touching the grate), and monitor the grate temp that way. Good Luck!!

Last edited:
Well, we are talkin Brisket-pics

13 lbs, fat side up for about 12 hours, then flipped it.
Basic homemade Brisket rub
Amerique set for 225, probe set for 195
22 hours later, done deal.

Attachments

• Brisket 3.jpg
    Brisket 3.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 43
Trying a high temp method this weekend on some flats...

1. Minion Method on WSM...
2. Briskets on (cold and rubbed)...bring temp up to 325-350...
3. Foil @ 160-165 internal...
4. Pull when it's tender...
5. Rest and slice...

I plan to use Competition K with oak wine barrel chunks for smoke wood.

Rub will be a Sugarless Texas Sprinkle derivative.

Back