The turn-in window

watg?

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
In a KCBS contest, you have a 10 minute window to turn in your entry. In the past, I am just happy to get the box to the judges table within the allotted time period. The question is am I missing something here? Is there any advantage to getting the submission in early, late, in the middle, IF you have an option? Does it matter at all? Has anyone ever tracked their turn in time and its relationship to their results? Which section of the window do you think gives you the best advantage or the most disadvantage? Judges, what do you think?
Am I nuts, and or am I over-thinking this issue???(again:shock:)

I competed in my first event recently and while it was IBCA and not KCBS, I did look around and notice that all the top teams, hit the turn in just prior to closing.

Being the new guy, I did not ask why, I just observed and my guess would be temp and to prevent drying out.

Makes sense and I'll not be the first one to turn in at the next event.

In every event I have judged, the only meat that is even patially warm is the chicken. If you have ever judged, you will understand why. First, your boxes are delivered and sorted and then taken to the table for viewing. Next, the box is opened and all the judges get a chance to take a good look to judge on appearance. Stuff is already getting cold. Then each judge takes a piece and puts on their judging mat. They repeat this process six times before they take the first bit. Anything sitting on that judging mat for that long, except for a thigh, is cold. I think the winning teams know their entries will be tasted virtually cold and select a flavor profile accordingly.

Hitting the end of the window doesn't ensure that your entry will get to the table in any more a timely fashion than an early one. It all depends on the check-in staff, box runners and table captains.

Hitting the end of the window doesn't ensure that your entry will get to the table in any more a timely fashion than an early one. It all depends on the check-in staff, box runners and table captains.
There you have it!

when judging, I've noticed that they get the entries to tables as quickly as they can, so the ones that come in first are generally to tables in a decent time, though I don't think I want to be the absolute first entry there.

I like to hit the early side of the window. Why? because that means I had time to get the box to look the way I wanted it without rushing.

I've only judged a handful of times, but I can't think of a time I ever noticed the temp of a turn in.

I like to hit the early side of the window. Why? because that means I had time to get the box to look the way I wanted it without rushing.

I've only judged a handful of times, but I can't think of a time I ever noticed the temp of a turn in.

If you hit the early part of the window for chicken in a KCBS contest you've added 10 minutes to the time you have for ribs etc., in comparison to getting them in at the end of the window.

Jorge brings up another good reason I like being on the early side. Oh, it could also be the 40 seconds late on brisket too.

I like to hit the windows early for the "extra" time like Jorge mentioned. Then I know I have it if I need it. Plus if things are going as planned I may actually have a couple min to sit back and relax between boxes.

For me it's more important who is turning boxes in at the same time. I know judges aren't supposed to compare but I would feel better not being the 3rd sample at a table behind Tuffy and Johnny Trigg.

Tom

I like to hit the windows early for the "extra" time like Jorge mentioned. Then I know I have it if I need it. Plus if things are going as planned I may actually have a couple min to sit back and relax between boxes.

For me it's more important who is turning boxes in at the same time. I know judges aren't supposed to compare but I would feel better not being the 3rd sample at a table behind Tuffy and Johnny Trigg.

Tom

I want my food to go up against the toughest people on the circuit. I used to feel the same way (trying to figure out who was dropping off and what team they belonged to) but now I want to know how good or how bad it is against those true BBQ professionals.

I have a better sense of accomplishment and satisfaction if I think my stuff went up against some of those people.

If I can, I like to turn in early as possiable. Mainly cause when I'm one of the first boxes my box won't sit on the plate very long before it goes back to the judges.
I've dropped a box off once towards the end of turn in. I had a 2 minute walk back to my site, still with a view of the turn in table, and my box was still there.

My team is me and my wife. I like to turn in early so that i can get to work on the next box. If there is any problems, every minute counts for me.

One thing I've always found amusing . . . some teams build their turn-boxes on Friday night, then put in coolers to keep the garnish fresh and crisp. Then they take them out just before putting the hot meat in them.
Wouldn't this in itself cool the meat quite a bit?

Phillip

Couple years ago at Dover I was walking in my Pork entry with Jack McDavid. And who strolls up behind us? Mrs. Trigg. Jack politely steps out of line drops back about 10 people. (Yes, I'm throwing him under the bus :icon_devil). I, on the other hand, felt bullish (or cocky?) and decided to go head-to-head with the Triggs.

The result? IQue bombed Pork, Smokin Triggers 1st place Pork :lol: Apparently Jack was the smart one.

Couple years ago at Dover I was walking in my Pork entry with Jack McDavid. And who strolls up behind us? Mrs. Trigg. Jack politely steps out of line drops back about 10 people. (Yes, I'm throwing him under the bus :icon_devil). I, on the other hand, felt bullish (or cocky?) and decided to go head-to-head with the Triggs.

The result? IQue bombed Pork, Smokin Triggers 1st place Pork :lol: Apparently Jack was the smart one.

I'm not sure if this supports or contradicts your experience:

Royal Invitational this past year. We get the chicken box to turnin, and I see the ISS!! box going in. In my mind I was thinking about some of their struggles with chicken, and decided that might not be a bad table to be on.... We got 13th, just for Sled....and I Smell Smoke!! won chicken. I've wondered how that chicken might have fared otherwise.

When I finally told YankeeBBQ the story a couple of weeks ago he looked at it a little differently. He suggested it might have been the right table......

So you're telling me that the boxes go to the judges in order of how their turned-in?:shock: If you ask me (and you probably aren't), but shouldn't it be more random, to keep teams from going through this whole strategization-handin'-their-meat-in-behind-other-good-teams-or-not-thing.

Perhaps I am completely misunderstanding this, so I apologize for this if I am, but it could be as simple as first turn-in goes to table 1, 2, 3, 4, n, then once every table has their first box the order gets randomly changed so the first box goes to 2, 4, 1, n, 3 etc. The way I am interpreting it getting done, seems to give teams at least a minuscule chance of controlling the outcome by counting the turn-ins--which seems silly.

Or is this why they changed the rule this year on the order in which judges receive each box?

Back