Texas Top 50 BBQ Tour/ my rankings

schooner

Reaction score
Spent last week doing Texas Onthl;y BBQ tour. Hit 10 joint ( one technically not on list this year. we order brisket, ribs sausage, with the exception being franklins. after 2.5 hours, i orderedthe whole menu.

here are my rankings

1. Franklin BBQ- worth the wait, best overall. talked with Aaron Franklin for 15 minutes. ordered the whole menu.
2. Hays Coutny BBQ- San Marcos- tied with Franklin for the best food.
3. Blacks BBQ-Lockhart. Best on Luling/Lockhart area
4. Cty Market-Luling- Pit room is worth the trip alone
5. Brooks Place- Cypress- dont let this little trailer keep you from ordering. Had the full menu been available, probably been higher up.
6. Kreuz Market-Lockhart- the largest joint on the tour. solid offerings
7.Virgies- Houston- another suprise. ribs were huge, brisket grea
8. Louie Mueller bbq-Taylor- what a bbq joint should look like, free samples when ordering, but food was a little letdown
9. Snittys-Lockhart- you enter in the pit area, which is nice to see, and i like the long tables, eat with your neighbors, but food was a little dry.( not on top 50 list this year)
10. City Meat Market-Giddings- we got there at a bad time, and they advised us not much left. just had brisket, it was dry, but the sausage they were making looked darn good. will give it another try.

Thanks for the write-up. So you didn't try the beef ribs at Louie Mueller?

Been to your top 2. They are both great. Somethin' bout that Franklin brisket though! Did you get a tour of the pits? Last time I went, he wasn't there but his mgr. gave me the tour of the smokers.. lots of space on those pits!

i wanted all places to have equal opportunity, so i only ordered the 3 meats. i did get a tour of all the pits at franklin with the man himself. pretty humble guy for all his success.

Thanks for your top 10 review!

I've done similar in North Carolina. Fun work!!!

Back