Resting Meat

farns005

Reaction score
Cooked my first brisket today and it turned out pretty good, I have a moisture question. I let it rest wrapped in foil in a cooler for 2 hours, and when I took it out there was quite a bit of liquid in the cooler, that wish would have stayed in the meat. Had a similar issue last week when I did 15 pork shoulders. Meat was tender, but wondering how to keep moisture in during the rest time?

TIA

Kelly

Save them juices and pour over the slices or pulled meats.....

I switched from foil wrap to foil pans with wrap over the top. Don't lose juice that way as long as I don't punch a hole in it. It can cost more but you can always wash and reuse.

I also use foil pans as ag80n indicated....

Pans are cheap at Costco, BJ's, Sams Club, and RD... Even most dollar stores sell them 3 for a dollar here. I buy a case of 100 on E-bay with lids that way there is no foil used.

When I slice brisket or pull pork I put into the juices left from the rest. After serving the remaining juices are frozen / incorporated into a new batch of bbq sauce or baked beans.

Check around for local manufacturers also. In my neck of the woods we have a company that sells foil seconds by the pound. No holes or anything, usually just a bent box. This makes the cost of the pans even with the cost of the wrap for me and much cheaper than store prices.

couple other ideas-
if using 1 layer of foil, put the solid side down
double foil-wrap once, then flip and wrap again making sure the "open" sides do not line up

Your problem is two fold: using Foil and using a Cooler. have you ever herd the term Carry over cooking??? Look you have fallen into the trap of it works in comps so it must be the right thing to do crowd. If you want the to brisket to stay moist Stop doing what you are doing.
Pull your meat off the pit sit it on the counter and tent it loosely park a thermo in the center of the Cut and leave it alone. If it will be several hrs( 3+) before you eat let the temp drop to 160 then wrap it and place it in a cooler and place a folded bath towel on top. If your going to be eating with in 2 hrs leave it tented until the IT drops into the 150's before you slice it against the Grain, AND NEVER cut more than you need for the meal. If you slice the whole thing up it WILL DRY OUT because there is more surface area. Ever been to a Fancy Buffet where all meat is carved by a guy in a white coat and a funny hat that aint done to be different it is done to give o the best they can offer Moist, juicy and full of flavor.

Your problem is two fold: using Foil and using a Cooler. have you ever herd the term Carry over cooking??? Look you have fallen into the trap of it works in comps so it must be the right thing to do crowd. If you want the to brisket to stay moist Stop doing what you are doing.
Pull your meat off the pit sit it on the counter and tent it loosely park a thermo in the center of the Cut and leave it alone. If it will be several hrs( 3+) before you eat let the temp drop to 160 then wrap it and place it in a cooler and place a folded bath towel on top. If your going to be eating with in 2 hrs leave it tented until the IT drops into the 150's before you slice it against the Grain, AND NEVER cut more than you need for the meal. If you slice the whole thing up it WILL DRY OUT because there is more surface area. Ever been to a Fancy Buffet where all meat is carved by a guy in a white coat and a funny hat that aint done to be different it is done to give o the best they can offer Moist, juicy and full of flavor.

Do you use the same method for pork butt?

Do you use the same method for pork butt?
Almost, I wrap it in foil and park it on the counter to rest for two hrs drain the liquid gold before pulling. and add the LG back. If I need to hold it foil the pan over and into a 170 oven.

Back