View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #11245
Pasmadj
Got Wood.

Default First UDS - Making some progress

I have posted a few times - as I have started my first UDS. I am working on it only occasionally because life tends to take priority.

Here are may latest pics.

I am now contemplating the lid. I eventually want to use a Weber lid, but I am clinging to the KISS principle for now. My #2 Weber lid sits on the rim of the UDS, but not over it.

My UDS lid is flat. I put the top grate supports only about 6" below the underside of the lid. So, I want to make exhaust ports that are as flush to the underside of the lid as possible - so as to maximize the area above the top rack. I want to use the top rack as much as possible. Also, I want to use fittings that will keep rain out during a cook.

I have determined that the area of a 2" exhaust hole is close to 2 1-1/2" holes, and 4 1" holes. Are there any suggestions for what I should do since my lid does not have a hole already? I am focused on keeping whatever I use, very close to the underside of the lid. Also, but not critical, I do not have a good tool for making holes bigger than 1-1/8".

Has anyone put exhaust holes / fittings on the side of the drum, near the top? They would look similar to the intakes, and they would not add weight to the lid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 130803-01 - hole locations 1 - Small.jpg (18.0 KB, 633 views)
File Type: jpg 130803-12 - primed 4 - Small.jpg (21.2 KB, 633 views)
File Type: jpg 130803-14 - inside 2 - Small.jpg (28.3 KB, 631 views)