View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Technically, beef is done at 130 and pork is done at 150 (safe to eat). Now neither of these will render brisket or pork butts tender.

As Bludawg said, there's really no hard and fast rule. It's when they probe tender. Stick a long skewer or knife or temp probe into the meat and when that probe slides in with little or no resistance (like warm butter), then they're tender and ready. Until then, they're not. Period.

This may be 180 or it may be 210 for both pork and brisket. Granted, these are a little extreme, but I've had it happen.

It'll come with practice and experience. I really don't even probe any more. I've gotten to the point where I can pretty much push on the meat with my finger or grab them with a gloved hand and tell when they're done. You'll get there too.

Many on here will tell you, as I will, I only use the temp to guage when to start probing or checking for tenderness. Temp has very little to do with it.

Steak, fish, chicken....these are a different deal. Briskets and butts will give up when they're ready to give up.

Thanks from:--->