Down goes 305Q

305Q

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hello all,

So, I have been lurking for a loooong time...reasearching and studying what I was to buy in a smoker. I debated long and hard on a stick burner, a vertical, a kamado etc...

So the day before yesterday it was buy time. I bought a 22.5" WSM and was stoked to use it.

Got it home, unpacked it, ran it over night with no meat and had my first cooke on it today...ribs and drumsticks.

Then the knock out blow. The family hates smoked food. Glad they told me before I bit the bullet (pun intended)

So on the market is a once used 22.5" WSM In Dade County Florida.

I have it on Craigslist as well.

Good luck to us all...and someone pass me a tissue.

No, no, no, no.............:hand: the first things I cooked my wife hated...........:sick: I used to much wood, that gave off way to much white smoke and turned everything black. So, I kept on working it. I can say that she now loves my BBQ. Everything from shoulders, to ribs, chicken and even lamb. Don't give up............:tsk: learn how to fight Brother, keep in there. Post some PRON, let us see what you're doing. great advice here, but you have to work at it too.................:becky:

Dude, trying to pass the tissues from Northern Virginia....................... That is not good.

Any chance it could have been a bad cook? Maybe too much smoke?

Bummer.

wallace

In my opinion you used too much wood or put the meat on before the smoke turned blue (bad smoke). The smoke flavor should be subtle...... If it is not then you need to change something. Don't sell the WSM though. Cook without smoke if necessary. Good luck!

Marty has an excellent point. Learn low and slow first. Try a pork shoulder about 6# and only use some salt and pepper, sparingly for a rub. cook at 250*. Let us know when you have the shoulder we'll walk you through it.

I'm sorry to hear that your first smoke was not as successful as you had hoped. How did you feel about the results?

I'm with Bluesman. Give it another try or two. I highly recommend a KISS smoke with something simple. I have yet to find anyone who doesn't like what I prepare. It's not that hard - I'm sure you can do the same.

I would try a pork butt low 'n slow. Just keep that going long enough and you should be good to go. You don't need to do anything fancy to succeed. Pulled pork has the advantage that there is not so much surface area for the amount of meat so the smoke flavor remains subtle. Serve with some middle of the road commercial sauce and see how the family likes it.

Good luck!

Edit: Wait... is this your listing? http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/for/3576123268.html

$420? So... this way you can tell SWMBO "Honey it's been on CL for weeks and no one calls." :wink: Well played sir.

The cook came out fine. A wee bit heavy on "meatheads memphis dust" rub, but the flavor was good.

Family is a fan of grilled food, not smoked it seems.

I will post PRON :)

Try a higher temp cook with charcoal only.Lead em to da water,they will drink! :wink:You can easily hit 350+.

2013-01-26170818_zpsa46ec657.jpg

2013-01-26171455_zps1083f3a5.jpg

2013-01-27101643_zps910e267e.jpg

2013-01-27111759_zps271ddc97.jpg

2013-01-27131213_zpsf372c496.jpg

Try doing a cook at 275-300 degrees and look for invisible to thin blue smoke coming out of exhaust. I think your family will be happy. Low n slow and the fire choking that needs to be done to maintain such a low temp will cause a smouldering fire instead of a clean burning fire.

Back