Cast aluminum pot for smoker?

CustomBBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
From what I was told, this pot is cast aluminum. I've seen different people on the forums with smokers that are made out of pots this size, etc. This is a military issue pot, the lid says 1953 and the pot says 1972, not sure the difference. Is this something I can use? I'd love to have a real mini, I have a 30 gallon uds, and this is a 15 gallon pot, perfect for smaller foods and I would definitely use it for camping/hanging out with friends. I tried to put a 18" Weber grate in and it is too big, any advice on other brand grates, or should I just make my own? Thanks in advance for any info.

Lee

Attachments

• IMAG0418.jpg
    IMAG0418.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 170
  • IMAG0419.jpg
    IMAG0419.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 172
I doubt that it's cast aluminum. Probably spun.

What is the diameter? I have a mini-WSM made with a "tamale pot" that is about 14" in diameter. It is just big enough to fit the smokey joe grates. That looks like it is much heavier material than mine and if the right size, should make a great smoker.

DSC_5940-PP.JPG

It's the one on the left of course!

I would get me a Weber Smokey Joe and a 32 qt tamale pot and build a mini WSM. Save the 15 gl stock pot for something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if the pot is much thicker then i would keep it as is and get the thinner tamale pot. thickness just doesn't matter on these mini's.

I would NOT destroy this pot.
I have a mini (15 gall.) smoker and it is 14 1/2 " in dia. and 27" tall.
Your pot is not a 15 gallon size

Most of all the mini smokers on this site are build with the 32 quart (8gall.) tamale pots and the weber smokey joe kettle.

My pot says 15 gal right on the side of it, maybe it's not, haha. The diameter is 17". I don't really want to build a WSM, don't get me wrong, their cool as hell, but I hust want something even smaller with basically no extra parts. I kinda like the idea of doing this, http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96205

It is also very tempting to just keep it as is and have some massive clam boils this summer, but I really want a little 2 person or so smoker. Thanks for everyone's thoughts. Just to be clear though, it will be safe to have a cooker in this type of metal correct?

Just to be clear though, it will be safe to have a cooker in this type of metal correct?
I prefer the smokey joe conversion on that account. The fire is in the porcelain coated bowl and the aluminum is away from the flame. I would just not do anything that puts charcoal in direct contact with aluminum. It ignites at 1400° F. Pretty high for a smoker but perhaps not out of the reach of charcoal. The inside surface of the middle section rapidly becomes coated with smoke.

A replacement for that unit would probably be over $100 AND thinner guage. I woulkd keep it as a big-ass pot.

Back