View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #14
neuyawk
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
There are lots of people down here in central Texas who have been cooking brisket for a long time who still don't know how to do it very well. The proof is at youtube with all the "real Texas brisket" vids. Lots of clowns and jokers who oversmoke the heck out of their BBQ with clouds of nasty smoke for 18-24 hours at 190 degrees. The end result looks like something you'd find in the ruins of a burnt down building. Sooty, oily, nasty looking stuff.

They are the same ones who won't listen to any advice. It's their way or the highway.
Don't disagree at all. There's plenty of people in NC who bake their shoulders in gassers for decades and tell me it makes no difference.

I went to school in West Texas and I miss the mexican food more than the BBQ.

But for those of us who aren't completely delusional, cooking a mess load of brisket over a period of time with a conscious effort to learn is simply the most efficient way. In fact I would argue that after the mess of raw "just do it" cooks, one benefits even FURTHER from instruction. Because you now have that base of dealing with the product.