First Foray Into Charcoal

thaifighter06

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Greetings!

I have been an electric smoker for the last 2 years or so, but really excited to get into something a little more serious. Looking at a Big Green Egg, any thoughts on a first purchase for a relatively new smoke enthusiast?

start out with a weber otg its the best of both worlds

Heck, if you can afford a BGE, go for it! It's the perfect combination of a low n slow smoker, a hot grill, and a pizza oven. Limited space but for a family go for it!!

Heck, if you can afford a BGE, go for it! It's the perfect combination of a low n slow smoker, a hot grill, and a pizza oven. Limited space but for a family go for it!!

Agreed, if you don't mind spending the money go for it! Its a awesome all around cooker.

I vote massive lang or bubba. Might as well skip the charcoal and straight to the wood

I went with the Costco Vision ceramic egg type kamado, because of the price, and dealing with costco on a lifetime warranty. No regrets. I would have bought a WSM, except I live in a high rise apartment building near the top floor, and it gets mighty windy up here in the winter. I read the WSM's don't deal with heavy winds nearly as well as the ceramic ones, which makes sense.

That only negative to a BGE is they are fragile. If you are accident prone, or plan on transporting it often, I'd look at a Broil king keg as another option.

Other similar cookers are the Comet kamado from Orchard supply, the vision Kamado at Costco, and the Char Griller Akorn at Lowe's. Akorn is also steel, so if it falls over it won't be destroyed.

Check out the Big Steel Kegs. They are a similar concept to a BGE but made of steel. I have one and love it. I mainly use it as a grill for steaks, pizza etc. I've gotten it up to 700-800 degrees and also as low as 220. And they are a few hundred less than an egg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're looking at an egg, you're obviously not scared of the price. I say get the egg, that was my first real charcoal grill and now I have a serious BBQ problem. You'll never regret it. You can always pick up a kettle on CL sometime in the future. If you plan on keeping it in one place, don't be scared by the ceramics.

Back