Is "4 on 4" bad for ribs?

jbrink01

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I've done it quite a bit, but may never do it again. Buddy of mine got a comment card that read "4 on top of 4 hides too much of the meat" this past weekend. Never would have thought that.

I did 4 on 4 3 contests ago took 4th in ribs and got a positivecomment card from a judge that gave me all 9's.

He must have been the same one that gave me a 6 on chicken after 5 other 9's......

I guess if you were a judge and you wanted to see all the meat on all the bones, but anyone that turns in Spare Ribs is going to have a diffuclt time getting six across. Maybe he was a closet BB fan and was unhappy he got none.

At least they let the team know why, I would at least appreciate that as a cook.

I guess if you were a judge and you wanted to see all the meat on all the bones, but anyone that turns in Spare Ribs is going to have a diffuclt time getting six across. Maybe he was a closet BB fan and was unhappy he got none.

At least they let the team know why, I would at least appreciate that as a cook.
why . judge what is the box. if he would have 6 someone would have said need to fill the box

Becuase if you filled the box to the brim he'd have a chance to inspect every single piece to judge for appearance?

dipchit.

I agree that you had a poorly trained judge.

Sounds like he/she was thinking back to the days before they changed the rule to remove "must contain six visibly identifyable samples" from the presentation scoring. If four over four has been working for you, don't change on the basis of one flyer out of an otherwise tight group.

I would never let one judge change what I do. If it's a consistent thing you see on scores, that's one thing, but this seems to be one judge.

Right, I get the fact that they didn't like it. It wasn't my box, I did something different this week so I really don't have much to "get over". IMHO, that judge is still mis-guided. They should have judged the appearance of the meat that they could see, not tell the cook how they want to see it presented. It isnt part of their responsibility to critique layout unless it's sloppy or disheveled. Should I lay all of my brisket slices out so they can see each one? No.

I wouldn't put much stock into what one judge thinks about the 4 x 4 presentation, that layout works well!!! I definitely would have gone to the reps with the card and said WTF!!!

Ridiculous comment. Using that principle you'd have to lay out six brisket slices flat edge to edge on top of your garnish just so you didn't "hide the meat". I use 4x4 all the time, unless I can get in more or if I don't have eight good bones in which case I go 3x3.

Back