• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

$299 Char-Griller Kamado First Looks

I'm glad this thread has had some longevity. I think the Akorn is now established as a formidable grill for the price. :)

It's the "mother" of all Akorn threads. We'll see 10 years from now if they hold up.

Need more information to help. What was your target temperature? What charcoal were you using? How did you have the air outlet (exhaust) adjusted? How long did you wait after an adjustment before making another adjustment?

Sorry. I was using Cowboy lump. The top vent was almost all the way closed, and the bottom intake was at maybe .5.

I must admit that I didn't wait very long. Because the temp would continue to climb or drop and I was worried! :mrgreen:

My local Menards has these cookers on sale now through the 4th of July holiday for $247 dollars!

So yes, I picked one up this evening and put it together. Will season it and throw something on it tomorrow for the first cook.

I like the looks of it, and can't wait to cook on it.

My local Menards has these cookers on sale now through the 4th of July holiday for $247 dollars!

So yes, I picked one up this evening and put it together. Will season it and throw something on it tomorrow for the first cook.

I like the looks of it, and can't wait to cook on it.

Jiggs, was it the one in Cbus? I just saw it online. Did they have black & red or just red? The Lowes around the corner has the black one & it has black folding shelves but the one on menards is showing red with wood-colored looking shelves.

Thanks!

Jiggs, was it the one in Cbus? I just saw it online. Did they have black & red or just red? The Lowes around the corner has the black one & it has black folding shelves but the one on menards is showing red with wood-colored looking shelves.

Thanks!

Menards only has the red with wood shelves. I tried to get Lowes to price match Menards and they shot me down so i bought the red one and actually like it better now.

Menards only has the red with wood shelves. I tried to get Lowes to price match Menards and they shot me down so i bought the red one and actually like it better now.

I was going to try the same thing at my lowes...was wondering if the red one was wood instead of plastic like on the black one.

Thanks for the heads up. Ordering now.

I was able to get the Lowe's in Lincolnwood, Il to match the Menard's price when I bought my Akorn.

Im sure if i pushed it i could have got them to match it but i since menards is less than a mile away i just went there.

I was going to try the same thing at my lowes...was wondering if the red one was wood instead of plastic like on the black one.

The shelves on the black Acorn sold at Lowes are metal, not plastic.

I like the red models. Would have bought one if there was a Menards in my area.

Thanks!
Lowes sells a black version with metal folding shelves, Menards sells the red version with wood folding shelves. I have the Lowes model, but in my perfect world I would have the red model with metal shelves.

Actually, I'm not in Ohio anymore. But yeah, I got the red one with the wooden shelves.

I love this cooker.

Lowes sells a black version with metal folding shelves, Menards sells the red version with wood folding shelves. I have the Lowes model, but in my perfect world I would have the red model with metal shelves.

Maybe there is somebody on here you can trade with? I'm in the same boat. I would rather have the metal shelves.

452f3618-208d-b4fb.jpg

I got mine today. Cast iron is seasoned & ready. Very impressed with quality of build...especially for $247

452f3618-20be-2c11.jpg

452f3618-2122-8991.jpg

452f3618-2132-297d.jpg

452f3618-2160-c152.jpg

I smoked on my Acorn for the first time this weekend. Cooked a pork butt at 275F - 285F using Ozark Oak charcoal and a couple chunks of Apple wood. Rubbed with SM Spicy Apple and it turned out great! So far I've enjoyed this unit for smoking, normal temp grilling, and high temp grilling (700F+).

Just got one this weekend. Had to with red. Did ribs ran about 250 for 5 hours was very impressed way easier to hold temps then on my old chargriller offset. Also just joined the brethren this weekend so should also say hello

Just got one this weekend. Had to with red. Did ribs ran about 250 for 5 hours was very impressed way easier to hold temps then on my old chargriller offset. Also just joined the brethren this weekend so should also say hello

Yeah me too, just joined and also love my new cgk, installed my iq110 using a thread from this site. Opened up a whole new world of BBQ for, both this site and my cgk

Long time listener 1st time caller..... Thanks JM for the great reviews! Always been a Kettle guy, watched all your videos, got in the car and went to Lowes, Seasoned it up and did a chicken @ 375. Came out perfect. Doing a Butt today. I'm a happy, happy camper!

Long time listener 1st time caller..... Thanks JM for the great reviews! Always been a Kettle guy, watched all your videos, got in the car and went to Lowes, Seasoned it up and did a chicken @ 375. Came out perfect. Doing a Butt today. I'm a happy, happy camper!

Excellent :)

I'm still a kettle guy. I use the Akorn about 50/50 with my kettle. In fact, my kettle is getting upgraded to a performer this week.

I was at Meijer in Muskegon mi today and noticed they have a dark grey and brown versions

Back