• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Tips for cooking some Tri-Tips this weekend?

Until recently I didn't know I could get tri tips in this area other than the Mortons pre-marinated one from Costco. We always cook them indirect between 300-350* then slide them over the heat for a quick flare up to sear. They turn out perfect and the flavor is amazing!

3 hours!? Jesus that seems like way too much, tri tip is not brisket and doesn't really smoke all that well. I cook mine over oak for 45minutes to an hour in direct at 300ish then reverse sear and it always turns out great. Throw the rub on an hour or so before and you'll be good.

You are correct-TT is not a Brisket but I smoke mine all the time and the flavor is excellent. Just a nice kiss of smoke really makes a difference.

all of the tips above are exactly how I have been doing them..and they are awesome..

for something different drizzle lemon olive oil on the meat after its sliced..sound strange but its great..

gonna have to go buy a tri tip on the way home..thanks!!

The last time I did a tri tip I argued with myself whether to do it on the kettle or WSM (oh for a Santa Maria grill). Finally chose the WSM and cooked with no water pan or lid. Got a pretty healthy lump fire going then added some oak wood with flames at first licking the bottom of my uppermost grill before settling down. Flipping occasionally it took about an hour and had a great crust on the outside and great flavor. I use EVOO and Hitching Post's Magic Dust for seasoning. Loves me some tri tip.

Tri-Tip came out pretty taste!!
727f6d73.jpg

I Just GOTTA direct you to the Tri-Tip Master Cut TD that was done earlier this year.

I won it with my very first attempt at Tri-Tip, so you can rest assured that there is some good stuff here, and that you can turn out a super Tri-Tip with no experience.... as long as you do your research!:becky:

By asking, you are doing your research!:becky:

Cheers and Good Luck!

Bill

I Just GOTTA direct you to the Tri-Tip Master Cut TD that was done earlier this year.

I won it with my very first attempt at Tri-Tip, so you can rest assured that there is some good stuff here, and that you can turn out a super Tri-Tip with no experience.... as long as you do your research!:becky:

By asking, you are doing your research!:becky:

Cheers and Good Luck!

Bill

Thanks, I would have to say mine looks pretty darn good then!! Loved trying the reverse sear. If I had one of those probes, I think I could take it to a whole nother level! Got to try some reverse sear prime rib-eyes!

Paddy- a lot of us do the reverse sear because of our smoker. Its easier to raise the temp and keep good smoke than it is to lower temps on many smokers. You don't have that problem on your OJL. I do like the reverse sear as it allows me to get the exact bark I'm looking for

Paddy- a lot of us do the reverse sear because of our smoker. Its easier to raise the temp and keep good smoke than it is to lower temps on many smokers. You don't have that problem on your OJL. I do like the reverse sear as it allows me to get the exact bark I'm looking for

Well I'm still just learning the process, very soon I well mess with going for low temp smoke. I think I could get 200 consistanly on the stack side... I'll report back when I give it a try.

Back