• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Colonel00 Thanks for the response. The butt came out great even though it cooked too fast. I am sure that it will even be better when I take more time to cook it :)

FWIW, I think butts are better cooked around 300-325 degrees. The first one I ever did was on a Chargiller w/SFB, and my temps were all over the place (totally new to the whole thing). To date, that is, without a doubt, the best tasting one I've ever done.

I learned to do the 225 thing once I built a drum, but was never overly satisfied with the butt results at that temp. I started coming across guys cooking at a higher temp, and even winning comps that way, so I decided to try it. Results just kept getting better. I've totally sold on doing butts at a higher temp mow. Briskets & everything else I keep "low & slow", but not the butts.

Whatever you end up doing only matters to you. If you like the results, keep doing what you do.

Got my first UDS built this morning. A welder up here at work came in on his day off to help. Will post up pics as soon as I can. All I have to do is take it home and burn some pallets up to get rid of the high-grade kerosene that was in it! WOOHOO... No liner at all!

Got a question about the fire basket as I get ready to build my UDS. I've tried searching this, and I know somewhere I saw someone post about this, but I'm not sure I've seen anyone using this idea...

Has anyone made an "O" shaped fire basket with a cylinder in the middle to keep the charcoal in a ring instead of the full basket? Would this reduce the hot spot in the middle and aid in more even heat distribution?

I think I saw this idea as I was searching about heat diffusers. My thought would be to use an 18" charcoal grate, wrap the expanded steel maybe 8" high around, and put a "roll" of expanded steel, probably 5" in diameter, in the middle. Thoughts?

I just wanted to add that adding an aluminum air bake pizza pan (had been under the stove drawer for years) wrapped in foil as a diffuser works well for me. I set my bolts four inches under the grate, although some use clips. After a couple of butts, I went with the pan. Money. I did my first brisket today. Awesome. Was ten degrees under due to a bad thermo after the fact, but was better than anything I'd done on a kettle to this point. Much juicer.

Also, Otis, I'm with you. I'm up to 260-270 for butts. Next one is going at 300 min. I think the fat will melt better and I think it will go though the stall quicker. We'll see.

Now I got the 30Gal drum for free and was Clean inside, to small for a UDS, someone suggested I do a mini but I was thinking of just using it as a firebox and putting a 55gal drum horizontally but then it won't be a UDS anymore Time to go find 2 55Gals.
IMG_0668.jpg

I love clean drums
IMG_0666.jpg

Should I burn it out or can I just stick a fire basket in a clean drum and cycle it with some smoke once and be good?

Last edited:
Got a question about the fire basket as I get ready to build my UDS. I've tried searching this, and I know somewhere I saw someone post about this, but I'm not sure I've seen anyone using this idea...

Has anyone made an "O" shaped fire basket with a cylinder in the middle to keep the charcoal in a ring instead of the full basket? Would this reduce the hot spot in the middle and aid in more even heat distribution?

I think I saw this idea as I was searching about heat diffusers. My thought would be to use an 18" charcoal grate, wrap the expanded steel maybe 8" high around, and put a "roll" of expanded steel, probably 5" in diameter, in the middle. Thoughts?

I'm not sure how the minion method would work with this set-up. It would have to burn in a circle (?) I start my fire in the middle, and it smolders its way outward. If you feel the middle is too hot, put a diffuser over it.

I'm not sure how the minion method would work with this set-up. It would have to burn in a circle (?) I start my fire in the middle, and it smolders its way outward. If you feel the middle is too hot, put a diffuser over it.

I was thinking about that. With the two ways I've seen the minion method done, I think it would only be possible to have a basket half full of unlit on the bottom, then put the hot coals on top for a top-down burn versus an inside-out burn like you do. This is all in theory as I have not even built my UDS yet. Some of the posts I have seen said that they burn through quite a bit more fuel w/ a diffuser. I am curious to see if this would elliminate the need for one. I think it would be easy enough to try, maybe use a coffee can in the middle and check the center temp with it and without it. Anyone want to try it for me? :-D

It certainly wouldn't hurt to try- you never know, it could be the next big breakthrough! Just make it removable, so if you don't like it, you haven't welded it to your fire basket.

Seasoned my drum yesterday and smoked some wings, sausage, and beef ribs today. I think I am noticing a metal taste in the wings. Has anyone ever experienced a metal taste cooking from a drum.

Now I got the 30Gal drum for free and was Clean inside, to small for a UDS, someone suggested I do a mini but I was thinking of just using it as a firebox and putting a 55gal drum horizontally but then it won't be a UDS anymore Time to go find 2 55Gals.

First of all : Your 30 gallon drum is best suited to go with a 18 1/2 " Weber or similar Kettles for lids.

Where as the 22 1/2" is used for the 55 gallon drums.

For the Mini drum, 10 to 16 gallon size using the Weber SJ @ 14" dia. or similar made grills of the same.

Has anyone bought a UDS from White Arc Smokers? they seem well done.. just wondering if anyone has any feedback.

Has anyone bought a UDS from White Arc Smokers? they seem well done.. just wondering if anyone has any feedback.

Haven't bought one of theirs, but they look pretty solid and like a typical UDS.

I make my own to sell in the local area in SE Minnesota. I can't figure out how they can sell them so cheap. Just my parts alone cost me $125. But I do use reconditioned barrels and new dome lids from a charcoal grill. http://webpages.charter.net/trotterdr/bbqbarrel/

Theirs look pretty nice, and they are simple to use I am sure. If you are a busy person, one of these would be pretty nice. And, you can modify it as you go, if there are add-ons (shelves, better thermo, etc) that you want.

Dave

I got a question...still a new member, so search is limited...How big of a diameter should I make my coal basket? I know I saw some numbers height wise (535 pages is alot to remember where) but right now, with two 12x24 in. pieces of expanded metal bent together in a circle, I've got just over 14" diameter. Is that good, or will that be too hard to control long burns with. :confused: Thanks in advance, love this thread.

Jalon

Both of mine are 9" tall by 14" diameter. I have no problem doing 18 hour plus burns on one basket.

I got a question...still a new member, so search is limited...How big of a diameter should I make my coal basket? I know I saw some numbers height wise (535 pages is alot to remember where) but right now, with two 12x24 in. pieces of expanded metal bent together in a circle, I've got just over 14" diameter. Is that good, or will that be too hard to control long burns with. :confused: Thanks in advance, love this thread.

Jalon

Thanks smokey...I've got a friend that will weld it up for me, I just wanted to make sure before he did. Appreciate it!

Well I just ordered a UDS from White Arc Smokers. I hope I don't regret buying this and taken the short cut rather then building my own. I'm just so dam busy I rather spend a little more and have it home already. Guess I need to change my avatar now from a gas grill to a drum :-D.
I saw someone post in this thread that people should know a few things BEFORE they season it. Is there any advise that I should do from the start?

Thanks in advance again!

If you are paying for it, it should come ready to season. You may want to double check the inside, but it should be ready to smoke enjoy.

A word of warning , if anybody ever eats any of your food off this UDS...You'll be cooking for every holiday, birthday...etc.

modified fire basket

I have been using fire basket a little different on the last few cooks. I saw one of the bigboy smokers use a basket that was like a maze, i guess because it only allowed a limited amount of charcoal to burn as it went around the maze.

I put a couple of firebricks in like this, and use a small piece of grate to make a compartment to put the lit coal in, it seems to be working, using my stoker, i did two burns over the weekend, one with out meat on sat, that went 13 hours. I firebricks holding a little heat doesn't hurt either.

On Sunday i did a 13 lb brisket and the fire went 14 hours.

Seems to work, the best i could do before was around 10, maybe 11 hours

634150aa.jpg

125f7c6f.jpg

Back