THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

landarc

somebody shut me the fark up.
Ever have a cook go bad, from the very start? I am doing that right now. I am ruining a beautiful hunk of meat that I already have 3 days into. And it is because I ran out of charcoal and cannot go get more. So, I decided to load what was left of a bag of Kingsford and about 4 pounds of oak and apple chunks into the kettle and light it on fire.

It "stabilized" out at 250F :-D, so I went ahead and threw the meat on :thumb:. Went back to deadline and phone. About an hour later I notice...smoke...wafting past my office window. Which is 20 feet from the cooker! :shocked: Dagnabbit! It is burning...so I go out and Nooooo. It is right there are 225F and smokier than a bee keepers pot. :mad2:. Apparently I did not let the wood burn down to coals and the ones on the bottom lit off, then the ash fell from the top and snuffed it out, sort of :tsk:.

Can you say SMOKY! I sure hope it doesn't taste like a briquette.:pray:

Been there! I thought I was the only one who could snatch defeat from the jaws of victory!

No sir, I have been snatching defeat from the hands of victory for years, and in many venues, not just cooking. :rolleyes:

Once, while cooking and enjoying several tall glasses of Jack, I retrieved the ribs from the smoker and left the fatty. I intended to come back for it because it was ready to pull. But the next morning a little crispy ball was still setting on the grate. Friend don't let friends drink and Q.

How about going to clean the cooker a day or 2 later only to open it and find a run of chicken or who knows what. :doh:

I used to always burn wood in my offset no problem, I never let the wood burn to coals first...IMO that's how you get the best smoke flavor, coals don't really give it a huge smoke flavor like wood does.

In one way or another, I have done all of these. Inv3ctive3, I use a kettle, so I need to be careful about the amount of smoke. I have not been as focused on cooking as I should be, but, work requires some focus.

No sir, I have been snatching defeat from the hands of victory for years, and in many venues, not just cooking. :rolleyes:

Are you now, or have you ever been affiliated with the Chicago Cubs? :rolleyes:

It'll work out, Bob. Worst case you can use the meat in chili or stew or something that will mellow out the smokiness.

No, I am not now, nor have I ever been associated with the Chicago Cubs, although, I can relate at times. At one time, my office manager did note that while the Cubs often killed her, the sausages were excellent, which was more than I could say for the A's. I told her I was a NL kinda guy.

been there brother. I keep plenty of cold Dodfish Head ready for just such an occasion

Back