Barbeque Sauce??

bbqdavarrow

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Just some thoughts on BBQ sauce..
1) Has anybody handed in off the shelf brands like (Masterpiece, Jack Daniels, Stubbs etc) with very good results??

2) has anybody tried to make a home version of Blues Hog??
(what is so unique about this sauce?)

1) Has anybody handed in off the shelf brands like (Masterpiece, Jack Daniels, Stubbs etc) with very good results??

I havent seen anyone do particularly well with an off the shelf brand
in either a sauce portion of a contest or on the meat (straight up sauce
without thinning or mixing, etc), as long as you dont count something
like Head Country or Blues Hog as off the shelf. I'm sure someone
somewhere has a time or two...

I think Saiko was working on a Blues Hog knock-off a while back. I
never heard how that went.

I use Jack Daniels Original BBQ Sauce as a base for one of our comp sauces. It does well enough that we keep doing it...

Not that I've heard of....

I know quite a few teams that use off the shelf stuff for a base. Remember that most judges are used to a certain "taste" of a sauce from backyard bbq's and picnics. They are used to the major label sauces. Don't overlook that folks were raised on Open Pit, KC Masterpiece, et al.

... McRib....

No lie. I know someone that went to McDonald's and bought some McRib sauce. (Actually manager gave them some in a soda cup.) They scored a top 5 for ribs that weekend. I went the next day to buy a gallon and they wouldn't sell me one! :shocked:

I met a team that uses Kraft BBQ sauce for their base and added almost nothing, just a little heat, and they seemed to do okay. No huge GC finishes, but, plenty of calls from what they showed me.

There is something to Blues Hog, in terms of how it is made that gives the meat an unbelievable sheen, I have messed around with how to get a sauce to have that shine and have had no success. I have found a similar sauce, whose flavor I prefer, and talked with the maker, he assures me it is in the processing and cooking methods.

I've used doctored Sweet Baby Rays a bunch of times with good results

I've used doctored Sweet Baby Rays a bunch of times with good results

Just add a gallon of maple syrup to SBR?

Oh crap, I just gave away any secrets I have learned from competing in NEBSland... :becky:

We were in Decatur AL this year and my B-I-L was coming over to help. Before he got there I entered the sauce catagory we had a DAL in Lawrenceburg that we were very proud of but thats another story.. He didnt bring enough of his home made stuff so we were gonna not turn in anything later that night he comes walking up with two containers of sauce I asked where did you get those he said I went to get ice I turned around and there they were just sitting there on a pole no one around so we turned it in.. The MC loved our name so much he did the top ten just to say Rub Won Out in second place :shocked:... After a lot of tasting we think it was just straight up cattlemans

I only have competed with friends but I use SBR doctored with hot smoked paprika and 1 shot of apple cider vinegar and thin with a lil water

I am of the belief that if you add anything, it is no longer off the shelf. It is an ingredient in YOUR sauce. I'm sure that most of us don't know how to make ketchup or Lawry's seasoning salt but they are 'off the shelf' and ingredients in your sauce. So don't say I doctored up someone's sauce. Take pride in your creation!!

According to the French if you add or delete one ingredient in a recipe then it is a new recipe.

This is one time I will agree with the French:shocked:

Just my 2 cents.

Back