Our First KCBS Comp

Zombie Barbecue

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
This entire thread is for anybody who is considering officially competing.

First off, we couldnt wait to go to an official kcbs comp for a long time. after doing a few years of local bbq events and doing quite well, we definitely understood the need for official judges (rather than the local tool from the bank judging our food and wishing it was boiled and slapped with kc masterpiece), so we were thrilled to finally get to enter.
So our first gig was York County state BBQ comp this past weekend and it was freaking beautiful. But first we needed meat. So our normal butcher (Barringer Bros meats-Richlandtown, PA) was on vaca so we ordered from another butcher at quakertown farmers market (not to be named because of terroristic threats). The meat was ordered 2 weeks ahead and I went over the importance and specifics of the meat, bone in pork butt, 12 lb full brisket or more, with point/flat, big ribs etc and it must be ready by 8AM we have a 2 hour drive ahead of us. SO we show up and its one lady saying "yeah I got your order here on paper, but I don't think we have it!!!????!!! DOn't HAVE IT!??!!!!! OUR MEAT???? FOR OUR FIRST COMP????? At one point the lady shows us a 5 pound trimmed brisket flat and said here ya go. My other team mate, says where's the point? and she literally just pointed to the "point" of the flat, like the pointed way it was cut! CHRIST! so we cursed em out and made some emergency calls to Barringer bros and we got out meat! Thanks Gregor.
Let me tell you, rollin into a big event like this with a homemade trailer packed to the gills with equipment, squeaking like a bastard, our cheap backyard smokers, and a half torn tarp waving behind us and seeing the huge winnebagos, and giant banners, and RV's. We had to laugh. Were we gonna be ridiculed? probably. Were we gonna have a damn good time? Absolutely.
So we cracked a lager and began setting up our makeshift tent. After we set up our homebase, we realized we were right in between some heavy competitors. Pork and Deans, PA midnite smokers, Christmas City and our good friend Philly Blind Pig, so we drank more beer. Here we are fixing the screws on our cheapo backyard smokers and the guys down the pike are setting up there hot tubs! good stuff.
Once we were up and running, it was time to grab a beer and go to our first official KCBS meeting. We did not stay for the CD.
We put our briskets on around 10:30 and our butts on around 11:30pm. With us, we searched the land for Pecan wood and we found it, but they were smaller chunks. so you mix small chunks in with a ****ty smoker where the seal to the firebox has been runover once so its not sealed, and you have about every 20-30 minutes trying to put out flare ups and you have a LONG NIGHT AHEAD OF YOU!!!!
Around 3 am, the entire place looks like burning man, minus the mind altering drugs and Im sure it smells much better here as well (I would much rather smell oak/hickory than dirty hippies).
You can get some great advice over some bourbon and a pull goes a long way around here. Thanks Kenny for the help on chicken and everybody else who stopped by to congratulate us in.
So on no sleep we get into morning. ribs on. drink. So at this point we ARE zombies. chicken on and here we go, its turn in time!
Well we got everything turned in on time (although we werent happy with taste and we still need lots of help with garnish), we got it done no prob. At first we were nervous about turn in (is 30min enough??) turns out its plenty of time with time to drink a beer. We cleaned up our homebase and waited/hallucinated for a few hours.
Trophies were announced at 4pm and we were truly happy for the teams that won, because we knew in the future we would be getting ours.

Here's the deal for competing: It rules. It was a blast. We may not have placed well (28 out of 29 ) but we didnt come in last. and we actually got 12th for pork overall! There's more cool people at these events than you can count. Everybody is there to help. we didnt meet one prick while we were out there. We learned ALOT! no we learned a ****LOAD! and most of all we had a freaking blast. It's really a great time.

Thanks to TAcks for those kick-ass poppers and patron! you rule it dude
Thanks to tim from Porter Macs for having your kid kick Toms ass
Thanks to kenny from bbq guru for advice on how to cheat death, 5 times and also on the thighs
and most of all Thanks to TOm Bera/Blind Pig. A mentor/friend/advisor and freaking nutjob drunk! one of the best.

Hope this thread wasnt boring as **** but to anybody reading it and thinking about competing. DO IT! Smoke your face off, learn alot, and then do it again.

and have beer. lots of beer. LOTS. :puke:

zombie bbq

Glad you had a good time, and congrats on the pork! Your site was a hoot, the zombies were a nice touch.

Wow! You had zombies? That's cool!

Congratulations on your first sanctioned contest - you'll find that it's addictive.

Great story and congrats on your first competition.

It was a blast meeting you guys. As was stated earlier you will become addicted to this craziness. Congrats on your pork. I hope I am there when you take your first walk.
The Patron will be everpresent anytime you see me at a competition so stop by and have a shot or two

Bill

Great story and welcome to the addiction. We're on our 6th KCBS comp and we still dont know what we're doing. But it's a great time, the family enjoys participating, the people we meet are the greatest you can ever expect to meet and I've learned SO MUCH about cooking BBQ from both the people we meet at these comps and on this forum. I know you'll keep at it and I wish you the best of luck. BTW, looks like you tied and beat us in pork, WTG!

This was our 3rd comp, and i can say the more people I meet, the more fun we have, my daughter and I love getting around and meeting people, this includes you! We talked briefly friday night this comp was a blast for us. glad you enjoyed it as well!

This was our 3rd comp, and i can say the more people I meet, the more fun we have, my daughter and I love getting around and meeting people, this includes you! We talked briefly friday night this comp was a blast for us. glad you enjoyed it as well!

congrats on the wins as well. wish we couldve talked more, but we were attempting to "control" our fires, unfortunately they controlled us! ha. we'll see ya at the next one.

Great meeting you guys as well! Looking foeard to cooking with you again, and seeing Thing 1 pummel Tom some more! Maybe next time Thing 2 can get in on the action!

congrats on a great start. Glad you enjoyed it. I was there with widespread bbq. liked your zombie mascots. See you on the road somewhere!!

Ha! :laugh: Our first comp was exactly the same. We had a stake-and-pole rainfly, a five year-old CharGriller with no mods and a 22.5" Weber Kettle.

We cooked our one pork butt in the Kettle, our one brisket, 12 thighs and three slabs of pre-trimmed St. Louis Spares all on the CharGriller all at mostly the same time.

There were 80 teams at that comp and all we wanted was to be in the top 25% in at least ONE category. Ended up taking second in Ribs and 6th in Brisket. :shock::bow:

But more importantly, we met some really neat people and had a LOT of fun.:thumb:

We've geared up a little since then, but we're still basically Backyarder's seeing how we can stack up agains the pros. AND I'm completely addicted.:doh:

Great story! Glad you survived to compete again!

That was such a fun read! I can totally identify with the feeling of being the little spot of Tobacco Road in the middle of Beverly Hills -- we still regularly see teams cooking with smokers that cost four times as much as our entire camp!

It sounds like you experienced the essence of competition, and were rewarded as well -- congratulations on your pork!

And I really, really need to see pictures of the zombies.

congrats on the wins as well. wish we couldve talked more, but we were attempting to "control" our fires, unfortunately they controlled us! ha. we'll see ya at the next one.

Are you going to be at Harrisburg in a few weeks?

Great read, I am sorry we didn't make it over to meet you guys but being our first full competition also we were running around like chickens with our heads cut off!

I couldn't agree with you more about how much fun it was and how great the people are. We were surrounded by a great bunch of teams that were great help to us. Thank to Slower Lower BBQ, Bill and his wife from Tacks and Captain Ron from Susquehanna Blue Smoke. It was great meeting all of you.

I know the guys from Slower Lower BBQ got a good laugh around midnight when we set up our tent and proceeded to try and put our cots inside. Note to self, make sure your cots are not bigger than your tent. Oh well, it was nice sleeping under the stars. Didn't sleep much anyway.

One of my highlights of the weekend was getting to talk to Shotgun Fred from The BBQ Guru.

Can't wait to get out there again.

Bryan

Back