Santa Maria Style TRI-TIP & Potato w/ Competition Style Corn

Ryan Chester

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Made my weekly Tri-Tip dinner last night. The Tri-Tip was rubbed with The Rub Co. Santa Maria Style Rub. The potato I cut slices in, hit it with some butter and Santa Maria Style Rub, wrapped in foil and tossed in the oven. I gave the corn a nice dusting of The Rub Co. Competition Style Rub and tossed on the grill.

I cook my tri-tips direct until I get a nice crust on both sides and then move indirect for the rest of the cook if need be. I shoot for 130* internal and let rest for at least 10 minutes under foil before cutting. I personally don't do a reverse sear because you can easily overshoot your target temp if your not careful. In addition, you might not be able to build a nice crust if you start searing too late. Right, wrong, or indifferent, that's my $0.02.:thumb:

photo8-5.jpg

photo7-6.jpg

tt.jpg

photo6-7.jpg

photo5-9.jpg

photo4-8.jpg

photo2-11.jpg

photo-9.jpg

photo1-8.jpg

photo13.jpg

photo12.jpg

photo10-1.jpg

Now there's an idea "weekly Tri-Tip dinner!!" That looks like some good eats right there!! :-D

Ryan, your rubs are next up on my "must try" list. Gonna have to pick up some of the Santa Maria, as I do love me some tri-tip also!!

Dang, I'm hungry now!!!

Very nice tri tip. Love what you did to the corn and the potatoes. Great meal great job:clap2:

Now THAT's what I'm shooting for! Hopefully my version 3.0 will hit your mark. Thanks for the info.
I'm mixed on the reverse sear also, I like being able to creep your way up to your target temp and nail it. Not sure how I'll do the next one. Excellent post!

Just got your Co. email this morning displaying your new rubs and will be ordering some especially the santa maria and the competition. Haven't tried Tri Tip yet but will be looking for one this weekend.

Looks like you nailed that Tri tip. I think I know what one dinner will be this weekend......

Great lookin meat, there.:clap2::thumb:
Yup.....THAT's what I'm doin' tomorrow for sure.

Hmmmm, haven't had Tri-Tip in a while. Gotta get some after seeing that. Nice job!

Thanks guys, dinner was thoroughly enjoyed! Growing up I probably had tri-tip once every couple weeks for dinner (sometimes more), now I cook it for my family every week or two and never get sick of it. I don't know what it is about that cut but it is FARKING GOOD!!!!:thumb:

Man that looks really good Ryan...I need to get an order sent over for some of that santa maria rub as well as the others. I was wondering how the vertical cooker is holding up for you. Did you figure out any mods for it?

Rob - The closest store to you who sells our rub is Brees Meats in Garden Grove off Valley View and Chapman. The vertical works good! I put a clay tile on top of the heat deflector and raised the charcoal basket which helped a lot. I am cooking tri-tip and pulled pork tomorrow at Tanaka Farms in Irvine so I'll plug it into the trailer hitch and take her with!

Cool, glad you got her working for you. I have been meaning stop by Brees as I have heard good things about them. Thanks for the heads up and good luck with your cook tomorrow.

Looks wonderful Ryan! I like the corn too... bet it was tasty!!:-D

Back