Brisket score/BBQ on request

Sean "Puffy" Coals

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I decided I was going to cook something before I went back to work on the 26th, I just hadn't decided what. A couple weeks ago I did my first brisket and everyone loved it, so I thought I'd do another one.

My cousin calls me up on the Face Booker and says that all anyone is talking about is how good my last batch of ribs were, and that every time she hears about them it makes her mouth water.

So, I figured I'd do my brisket and throw a rack of ribs on for her too and have her and her husband and new baby over for dinner.

I went Brisket shopping yesterday and almost had a heart attack when some of the places I went to were charging $5, $6, $7 a pound. I thought I might not be able to afford to do this cook afterall.

Then, the last place I went, a little locally owned market, I checked their meat dept. They had really decent prices on everything- pork & beef ribs,, steaks, whole chickens... but I couldn't find any brisket. I turned around to head back to the little butcher counter in the back corner of the store when out of the corner of my eye I spot a big refrigerator case with a sign above it that reads "Whole Beef Brisket $2.38/lb."

I checked them out- looked pretty good to my untrained eye. So I went back to the butcher counter to ask them if they'd seperate the point and cut the flat in half for me (for maneuverability). The guy goes in the back and asks the boss. A few seconds later he comes back out, hands me a piece of paper and says "no problem. write down how you want it and come back in 10 minutes."

Awesome!

I go get the spices I need and am back in 5 minutes, figuring I'd just wait for it; it's already done- cut the way I wanted, wrapped up and waiting for me. I thanked the guy and told him that if I had known they had whole briskets I'd have gotten one there earlier instead of the other place (i think i paid $5/lb or something like that...I was desperate for brisket, dang it!)

Definitely gotta remember that they have these. Hopefully they carry them next season too. Might go back and get 1 or 2 more when I get my big check.

Dinner is tomorrow night. I'll post some pron a.s.a.p. :whoo:

U want pics of the uncooked Brisket? Gonna do some prep work today- I'll snap a couple. Don't usually take my camera to the grocery store with me.... Sorry. :confused:

Well, here it is:

brisket1.jpg

brisket2.jpg

Sorry the pics are bad- took them with my cell phone. It weighs in at just under 15.5 pounds. I trimmed maybe 1 - 1.5 pounds of fat/membrane. The guy at the "butcher" counter didn't cut it the way I wanted him to, but he did save me a bit of work so I guess I can't really be mad.

Just got it in the smoker a couple hrs ago. Got the ribs on about 1 hr ago. Smells great! Doing about 2/3 mesquite, 1/3 wild cherry (+ coals). Will definitely post some pron when they're done.

I dont even take pictures of normal things anymore. Just food. It's weird.

I dont even take pictures of normal things anymore. Just food. It's weird.

lmao! It's funny because I've only ever used my camera for when we went on vacation to Vegas. When I started building my first S.D.S., I took pics of that and it's been just food and smokers ever since.

PRONS AWAY:

7-22-2010BrisketRibs003.jpg

7-22-2010BrisketRibs005.jpg

7-22-2010BrisketRibs006.jpg

7-22-2010BrisketRibs002.jpg

7-22-2010BrisketRibs008.jpg

Also made kern on the cob and baked sweet potatoes. Everything came out great. Many compliments. Brisket could have been a smidge more tender, but it was delicious anyway.

I wrapped in aluminum foil after 4 hrs and pulled it from the smoker when the internal temp hit 200* and rested. Maybe could have left it on until 205* or 210*.

My cousins enjoyed it plus I got to get spit it on by their adorable new baby, Mia. It was a ton of work, but all in all, it was a great day!

Thanks for reading!

Back