• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Jambo Competition Pit

woodburner

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I really like Jambo pits, and I've noticed a few things that are different with jambos than others. Quality is a big difference , and I agree, but what do you guys thank really make the pit stand out ? A couple of things I first noticed was the smoke stack, 1, sized larger than most, and 2, lower on cook chamber (grill level). Then the fire box, this is really what I find different, it sits higher up on the cook chamber, and my old old way of thinking is that heat will always rise, so why is the horizontal flow of heat in these pits work so well. and last how much insulation does these pit have in them. So after all of that what do you guys think. Thinking of buying a pit but want some others opinions. Thanks Woodburner.:thumb:

The firebox has a fixed intake. That's why the exhaust is so large.

I really like Jambo pits, and I've noticed a few things that are different with jambos than others. Quality is a big difference , and I agree, but what do you guys thank really make the pit stand out ?

The main thing is the very large firebox and smoke stack in relation to the size of the barrel. Makes burning a clean fire very easy. When I throw a log on the pit almost immediately goes back to clear blue smoke. The firebox is insulated by the way. One other thing is the trailer the pit is built on is excellent, pulls like a dream.

I also heard they are perefctly tuned right out of the shop--there are no hot/cold spots.

Chris--what do you think is the difference between the fixed air intake on the newer models and the sliding cast-iron boiler door he put on the older models? I know Rod plans to have Jamie mount a new one on the back of his trailer, but won't do it until he finds an old boiler door like the one on his trailer mointed unit.

Killer paint jobs,chrome exhaust and 7 gauge steel that's what got me.

switching over to the boiler door from the fixed intake.....thanks to a Brother in Smoke......but, yeah, sometimes the paint jobs can get a little extreme....but, who wants to be normal?.....

switching over to the boiler door from the fixed intake.....thanks to a Brother in Smoke......but, yeah, sometimes the paint jobs can get a little extreme....but, who wants to be normal?.....

That avatar has a sweet paint job!

I also heard they are perefctly tuned right out of the shop--there are no hot/cold spots.

Chris--what do you think is the difference between the fixed air intake on the newer models and the sliding cast-iron boiler door he put on the older models? I know Rod plans to have Jamie mount a new one on the back of his trailer, but won't do it until he finds an old boiler door like the one on his trailer mointed unit.

They cook great right out of the shop but they are designed to have spots that are hotter... which can be used to your advantage. Definitely a comp pit as opposed to something you would use for say doing a cater where you want completely even temps for a load of butts.

My thinking was the boiler door was mostly cosmetic. I guess you can choose to control pit temp tweaking the vent as opposed to the fixed intake design where the control is done mostly through the exhaust stack. I've never had any problem getting exactly the temp I am looking for with the fixed door design.

Back