• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Hi All, I have been trying to finish this thread for a while but things keep coming up! Love the site by the way Tons of Info on here. I just got my 1st drum on Saturday and i am going to start on it a little at the time. I have a couple of questions...

1. is the red stuff in the drum the liner that i need to burn?
2. How about that rubber looking ring in the lid burn it off?
3. Will acetone or paint thinner help loosen the junk inside, and will it be safe to burn after airing it out after drying, then will it be safe to cook on?
4. does it matter how long the nipples are for intakes?
i have some 1/2 4 inch nipples and i have some 3/4 1 and 2 inchers and close nipples 3/4
which one would be better before i start drilling?

I have a lot of the parts to make it i think.

Thanks in advance guys! You guys are a treasure trove of information

TuckP1030035.jpg

P1030037.jpg

P1030038.jpg

Hello Wildcat. That red stuff looks to be the dreaded liner. Must be burned out. I don't know if those solvents will help but do doubt they will soften anything. I believe the liner is cured epoxy. That gasket needs to go and someone used a heat gun and a small chisel to remove it. The 3/4" close nipples are what I used on mine because they don't intrude into the drum very far and hence won't get in the way when cleaning out the drum in the future. Those are the only answers I can help you with, so good luck with your build.

If you want a lazy-man's way to safely remove the liner, first set up an outdoor propane burner. I'm talking about the kind they sell to heat turkey frying pots. Set the drum up on it and fill it with water. Then dump in about half a box of Cascade or Electrasol dishwashing detergent and fire up the burner. It will heat better if you cover it. Bring it to a boil, then turn it down some and let it simmer for about 30 minutes. Then shut it down and let it cool. This solution will strip paint, grease, dirt, or oily junk off anything. I use the bottom of a once-lined drum for a cooking grate soaker, and i do the same thing - propane cooker, water, dishwashing detergent. I use a whole lot less dishwashing detergent. After just one time the liner was already falling off. Half a box will knock it out for sure.

After it cools all the way down, bail it out using a 5 gallon bucket and go dump the solution down a (funky) toilet that goes to a sewage treatment plant. Don't dump it outside or into a storm drain. We put dishwashing detergent down our drains every single day, and a little dissolved paint will be filtered right out by the treatment plant. Rinse your drum real well and wipe it out with dry rags. It probably won't need any wire brushing, but if there are any stuck-on spots, they will come off way easier after this soaking.

You'll burn a few $$$ in propane, but you will save yourself a real dirty job and this is probably more environmentally appropriate too.

seattlepitboss

That is an interesting way to get the inside paint off. I hope BBQWildcat or anyone that is building a UDS and tries it will let us know and show us the process and results with some pics.

Sure beats having the fire department show up.

If you want a lazy-man's way to safely remove the liner, first set up an outdoor propane burner. I'm talking about the kind they sell to heat turkey frying pots. Set the drum up on it and fill it with water. Then dump in about half a box of Cascade or Electrasol dishwashing detergent and fire up the burner...
460lbs of caustic boiling water on a Costco turkey burner? You've actually done this?

That is an interesting way to get the inside paint off. I hope BBQWildcat or anyone that is building a UDS and tries it will let us know and show us the process and results with some pics.
And video please...

as-seen-on-youtube.png

If you want a lazy-man's way to safely remove the liner, first set up an outdoor propane burner. I'm talking about the kind they sell to heat turkey frying pots. Set the drum up on it and fill it with water. Then dump in about half a box of Cascade or Electrasol dishwashing detergent and fire up the burner. It will heat better if you cover it. Bring it to a boil, then turn it down some and let it simmer for about 30 minutes. Then shut it down and let it cool. This solution will strip paint, grease, dirt, or oily junk off anything. I use the bottom of a once-lined drum for a cooking grate soaker, and i do the same thing - propane cooker, water, dishwashing detergent. I use a whole lot less dishwashing detergent. After just one time the liner was already falling off. Half a box will knock it out for sure.

After it cools all the way down, bail it out using a 5 gallon bucket and go dump the solution down a (funky) toilet that goes to a sewage treatment plant. Don't dump it outside or into a storm drain. We put dishwashing detergent down our drains every single day, and a little dissolved paint will be filtered right out by the treatment plant. Rinse your drum real well and wipe it out with dry rags. It probably won't need any wire brushing, but if there are any stuck-on spots, they will come off way easier after this soaking.

You'll burn a few $$$ in propane, but you will save yourself a real dirty job and this is probably more environmentally appropriate too.

seattlepitboss

I've seen this movie... The fat guy get's burned... :roll: :mad:

seattlepitboss

You may want to change your name, the feds will be looking you up after reading this.

I finally got my UDScompleted! Thanks to Pat (Norco), n8man and Barbarian for their help and words of wisdom!

Attachments

• uds.jpg
    uds.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,162
  • uds4.jpg
    uds4.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,166
  • uds2.jpg
    uds2.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,165
  • uds5.jpg
    uds5.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,168
  • uds7.jpg
    uds7.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 1,169
Last edited:
460lbs of caustic boiling water on a Costco turkey burner? You've actually done this?

I have put a drum *bottom* on my turkey burner. If your concern is that the burner won't support the weight, stack up concrete blocks around your burner and put your drum on the blocks. Actually, yours is a really good point. Need a very very solid base, tipping over all that solution would be bad. Real bad.

seattlepitboss

Just a little boost for the drumheads out there. Cooking competition on the drums is a good thing. 3rd overall in ribs and 7th in brisket, and a couple other anything but entries.

Attachments

• RnR Trophys 2009.jpg
    RnR Trophys 2009.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 1,254
Another Member Due to this Thread

Hi There,

Name's JT and I am a new member. I joined because of this thread. It took a while but I read the whole thing!!!!

I have lots to learn as I have never cooked on a smoker before. I stumbled on to this forum/thread acouple of weeks back while looking for info on smokers.

I have a fair amount of backyard charcoal grilling experience, but have lived a sheltered BBQ life and have not been exposed to much Que outside my own little world. So I am a newbie all the waqy around I guess.

Anyway....You all have inspired me to build a UDS. I have started to scrounge up some pieces parts from here and there and will be building soon. So far I have got a free ball valve, a Weber cook grate and two cans of grill paint from Lowe's (also free w $25 gift card) and today I scored a free hunk of expanded metal. I got a cheap $16 pit thermo by grill care that I hope will do for now. Sometime this week I am getting the nipples, caps etc.

I scored a free barrel from my boss. The barrel he gave me was a open top style with the lid and is in great shape. It was behind a house he had recently bought and was empty. It had a slight fuel oil/kerosene smell to it when I got it. That smell was totally gone after burning the barrel out once.

It has a olive green liner on the inside that seems to be tough as nails as the first and only burn so far did not seem to get rid of much of the liner.

I am moving forward with this barrel for now, but I am looking for a better specimen to work with. I was ok with the barrel I have until i read some of the posts on here that were of the "why take a chance?" perspective.
Got me thinking I guess and maybe a little paranoid. hopefully I will find a nice food grade Drum soon. I read all of the suggestions about finding drums on here and called lots and lots of people to no avail so far.

So, that where things stand for now. I know we all love to read bout others builds so i will post often through the process and try to get some good pics for you all.

Here is a few pics of the barrel I have become leary of using for now.

Attachments

• smallCIMG2120.jpg
    smallCIMG2120.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 1,252
  • smallCIMG2121.JPG
    smallCIMG2121.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 1,245
  • smallCIMG2135.JPG
    smallCIMG2135.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 1,244
  • smallCIMG2138.JPG
    smallCIMG2138.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 1,243
  • smallCIMG2143.JPG
    smallCIMG2143.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,246
New England brother...looks great so far!!! Keep after it and you will have a first class smoker very soon. Burn it out one more time just to be same, then "get r done". Keep posting those build pics.

Exhaust

Ok i drilled out the holes about 2" from the bottom. I used 4 intakes, 3 with caps and one with a ball valve. Which is the better type of exhaust for this setup? My drum lid has 2 bungs holes on it (one big one small) so will it be better to use the 8- 1/2" holes or use a pipe and 90 exhaust. Those freakin things make the lid HEAVY!!

Thanks
Tuck

Hey Gary, glad I could be of some help, I got all my help off the guys here. Welcome to the Drumhead Nation!!!

Hey BBQWildcat, I doubt you need the 90* elbow. I have to vent my exhaust out of my little Q shack so I don't want a elbow and I don't know why you would need one. You are correct about the extra weight IMHO. Also with the short 4" pipe I can shut down the drum with just a tin can over the pipe. I guess guys with 8 holes somehow plug them all up.

Attachments

• DSC02711.jpg
    DSC02711.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,235
  • DSC02813.jpg
    DSC02813.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,236
Do most lids fit right on the drum of do you have to customize them?
The lid I have isn't a perfect fit.. Should I keep looking for a better lid or work with the one I have?

I doubt you need the 90* elbow. I have to vent my exhaust out of my little Q shack so I don't want a elbow and I don't know why you would need one.
It's a weather thing. Keeps the rain out if you use the lazy-boy outdoor storage mod...

UDS-02.jpg

Back