THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

kwas68

is one Smokin' Farker
For the SuperBowl (come find me and sue me for using that term!:evil:), I made what I’m calling pit beef or “pit”alian beef. I was somewhat inspired by Italian beef recipes.

I started with 4 lb. upper round roasts. I rubbed them with Bovine Bold and put them in my UDS at 325. I put apple chips and a hickory chunk in the basket of lump. I pulled them off at an internal temp of 130 and let them rest in the fridge overnight.

The next day, I sliced it as thin as possible and put it in Ziplocks (for stuff to be consumed later that day) and Foodsaver bags (for stuff being consumed sometime later).

I made a “gravy.” It consisted of:
4 cups water
Enough beef stock powder for 2 cups
2.5 Tablespoons of my all purpose BBQ rub
4 Tablespoons of a sweet BBQ sauce

Now, usually Italian beef comes with giardeniera. The BBQ equivalent? Well, fried onions of course! I fried sweet onions in butter (Paula Deen mod) and a heavy dusting of all purpose BBQ rub. These things can be eaten on their own!

At feeding time, I warmed the gravy. When it was hot (don’t boil it or your meat gets rubbery), I put the sliced smoked beef in and served it with Italian type rolls. Each person made a sammich with the dripping beef topped with the fried onions. For extra goodness, the sammich can be dipped in the gravy.

It was a hit! Smoky, a little sweet, spicy. I’ll be making this again for family functions because the “day of” work is pretty limited to warming gravy in a crock pot. Goes a long way too.

I apologize for the lack of pictures. Think of an Italian beef with a smoke ring and fried onions.

Back