• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Uds runs hot tried everything HELP

P

powerhouse2

I have only about 40hrs on my uds, but every time it likes to run at 300 I have used rtv on all fittings I only start with 8 Briquettes on lump I have no sealant on the lid yet but fits tight. so my question is what's my next step should I

shorten my 12 in smokestack to reduce draft

seal the lid

try different charcoal iv been using cowboy I know it sucks but I had a big bag

I have been putting a beer can over the stack with a hole in it with valves closed and it will hold 250 how can I fix this? thanks

300 ain't so bad for BBQ. But, I'd probably just use fewer lit coals.

1. Ditch the lump. Go to briquettes.
2. You should be able to control 99% of your airflow with exhaust wide open (intakes closed should shut it down)
3. Start with 6 lit briquettes

1. Ditch the lump. Go to briquettes.
2. You should be able to control 99% of your airflow with exhaust wide open (intakes closed should shut it down)
3. Start with 6 lit briquettes

^^^What he said^^^

If it's still running hot with briquettes, then you have an air leak some where.

Are your intakes air tight? If you can not shut all intake air coming into the drum, then you can not control the rate of burn. The exhaust is not your culprit. Does your lid fit tight? What type of lid do you have on it? It should fit with a fairly tight fit also. How many intake's do you have, and are they able to be caped or shut off?

I found that I have good success with briquettes, terrible battle with lump, any lump, unless I run the smoke from one edge to the other, but, that can cause burm time issues. My lid fits better with a layer of grease on the rim, actually, it fits really well with that rim of smoky grease.

I have 3 intakes 3/4 with high temp rtv around them. if I put a rag in the stack it goes out quickly so I can't have to much air coming in at the lid? maybe I should just try dif charcoal first.

Are your intakes air tight? If you can not shut all intake air coming into the drum, then you can not control the rate of burn. The exhaust is not your culprit. Does your lid fit tight? What type of lid do you have on it? It should fit with a fairly tight fit also. How many intake's do you have, and are they able to be caped or shut off?
I have a lid with a 2in bung, I can cap all intakes I with valve.

powerhouse to check and see if it is the lid that is leaking just take some aluminum foil and fold it up into strips and fold it longways over the top edge of the drum and it will seal it up for a test. Also try swapping to briquettes and see if that helps.

I have never tried lump in my UDS, but I also have a 12x2" stack on mine and I never tamper with it. I have three 3/4" air intake holes on the bottom of mine and two of them are ball-valve controlled. Your air flow is simply a little too high. You need to control your temperature with the intake rather than the exhaust on the drum. The draft created by the stack will still be limited by how much air is allowed in at the bottom.

I have 3 intakes 3/4 with high temp rtv around them. if I put a rag in the stack it goes out quickly so I can't have to much air coming in at the lid? maybe I should just try dif charcoal first.

No matter how many intakes or outlets you have, if you have too big a fire in there it's going to get too hot. I stick by the fewer lit coals approach.

Where are you taking the temp at? Where is the thermo located? And is it calibrated?

Where are you taking the temp at? Where is the thermo located? And is it calibrated?
I am using a 12in thermometer 1in below cooking grate, I have calibrated in boiling water and it reads close to my maverick also

How many intakes do you have open? I use RO lump in my UDS with no problems. I have three 3/4 holes that I cover with magnets. Depending on the outside temp, I go from having 1 hole 1/4 open 2 others closed to having 2+ open on cold days and I can hold it at 250. I use a Weber lid, exhaust always wide open.

No matter how many intakes or outlets you have, if you have too big a fire in there it's going to get too hot. I stick by the fewer lit coals approach.

I definitely agree, but you should still be able to choke it down. It may take a while but it will get there.

For sure too much air. It could be entering from someplace not suspected. Loose vents etc. Can you use the Minion Method in a UDS?

Back