UDS: You Guys Did Such An Excellent Job

pmad

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
teaching me how to seal my UDS, I couldn't get it above 260° anymore.
I had to add a second inlet. :doh:

IMG_0712.png

Thanks ... I guess :grin:

Have ya tried lowering the inlet? Looks like ya might have problems with your inlet at the same heighth as the top of your smoker.

Have ya tried lowering the inlet? Looks like ya might have problems with your inlet at the same heighth as the top of your smoker.

Please explain.

I'm no engineer, but I don't understand how that would matter.
My exhaust sits a good 8 inches above my inlets.
As long is there is a "draw" the height of the inlets shouldn't matter.

What effect would there be on having intakes near the top of the smoker?

Some people were having problems maintaining temps w/extended inlets and found that lowering the inlet solved the problem. As long as yours is working like you want, i would not worry about it.

I think it may take more draw to pull the air down those tubes. I think I would try the lower just to see.

Any extra length or bends on the intakes create resistance for airflow. Just look at the work engine tuners do with bench flowing heads. They machine off the slightest angle to help with airflow. Same concept with your intakes. But, if you are happy with the flow, I say leave it.

Where I have my air inlet is actually under the charcoal rack, so the air enters and rises up just a bit to get to the coals. I don't know if that makes a difference, but your air inlets are placed a lot higher than mine where they go into the drum.
I love the lid idea. I may have to copy that!

Where I have my air inlet is actually under the charcoal rack, so the air enters and rises up just a bit to get to the coals. I don't know if that makes a difference, but your air inlets are placed a lot higher than mine where they go into the drum.

I also put (4) 3/4" Inlets near the bottom of my UDS.
I like the air to flow thru the Charcoal.
I've got to admit that when I get mine going I close most of my inlets...
I use a valve to further control the air in...

Topside I've got (6) 3/4" holes for exhaust.
I can close these off if need be.

I can control my temp. from about 200 Degrees, up to about 400 +

It's easy to control temperatures in my UDS. I love it. :clap2:

air flow will decrease with length and decreasing diameter due to increased airflow resistance. Do this for fun. Use two straws of equal length but different diameter and try to blow through them.

I realize you can't tell in the picture, but the floor of my UDS is domed.
So my charcoal rack sits a bit higher.
My intakes are under the charcoal rack.

BTW, I'm doing brisket tomorrow.
I let you know how it works.

Back