Mortadella & pistachio pesto pizza

Zippylip

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
A month or two ago I was in Pittsburgh & some friends took me to a little restaurant in Lawrenceville called Piccolo Forno, great place. Everything we had was fantastic but the standout was a pie we got as an appetizer topped with pistachio pesto, basil, chunks of mortadella and burrata cheese, one of the best pizzas I’ve ever eaten. Since I live clear across state outside of Philly my choices are two, drive 5 hours to get another or make one right outside in the hut, a worthy cook for the maiden fire-up of the Blackstone this spring, a seriously welcomed return.

Started out with the ingredients:

001_zpszslgq5lg.jpg

004_zpsjmcsevp3.jpg

Added the pistachios & basil to some Romano, garlic & olive oil for the pesto, spread out on the fresh dough:

012_zpsdzxno13w.jpg

Then added the mortadella & fresh mozzarella (didn't have buratta but I could do without the cream in the center, it's basically fresh mozzarella with a liquid center).

013_zpsscnvuw8p.jpg

Into the Blackstone which was screaming hot by now (this was the 3rd pie):

014_zpswqzshadr.jpg

It was in there probably 2 minutes or so total:

019_zpsrd2yi0sg.jpg

020_zpsmzjec7c4.jpg

022_zpswsqhqtnb.jpg

made a couple plain NY pies too:

007_zps00jqmt1n.jpg

008_zpss0e75d8z.jpg

009_zpsezvq8g52.jpg

027_zpssnexakcx.jpg

028_zpsflksfsfn.jpg

029_zpski5yoxgm.jpg

It all came out pretty good, great Sunday afternoon feast; hope everyone is enjoying this beautiful day as much as I am :biggrin1:, Marc

tumblr_m9e85mctOn1r2zxn0.gifc200_zpsmy0muecz.gif

A month or two ago I was in Pittsburgh & some friends took me to a little restaurant in Lawrenceville called Piccolo Forno, great place. Everything we had was fantastic but the standout was a pie we got as an appetizer topped with pistachio pesto, basil, chunks of mortadella and burrata cheese, one of the best pizzas I’ve ever eaten. Since I live clear across state outside of Philly my choices are two, drive 5 hours to get another or make one right outside in the hut, a worthy cook for the maiden fire-up of the Blackstone this spring, a seriously welcomed return.

019_zpsrd2yi0sg.jpg

020_zpsmzjec7c4.jpg

022_zpswsqhqtnb.jpg

Wow you really nailed those pies!

Fella you certainly can make a pizza dough! That looks outstanding. I looooooooove mortadella. I'll be stealing that pie idea for sure! Thanks for sharing.

Fella you certainly can make a pizza dough! That looks outstanding. I looooooooove mortadella. I'll be stealing that pie idea for sure! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, and one thing, I thought of this last minute & didn't have time to get good imported mortadella so I went with this stuff. What I would have done differently is bought a 1/4 pound of it un-sliced & cut into small chunks to replicate the pie I copied, it works better that way...

Back