• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

I Can't Throwdown Tonight (Grotesque Gravy Pr0n)

Gravy throwdown??? I don't know about that, but I do know that this dish looks amazing. I'd eat it, I'd eat two. Beautiful plating indeed!

You newbies need to read the farkin "Throwdown", rules. Unless it states its open, it HAS to be cooked
Over charcoal or wood...unless specicied by the previous, "Throwdown" winner...

My appologies Pat you are correct I should read the rules before I enter, I guess thats why I haven't entered.

That does look great.

I checked the rules and it says grilled or smoked but I didn't see that it has to be wood or charcoal. Did I read that wrong. I was planning to do something but not with wood or charcoal.

That does look great.

I checked the rules and it says grilled or smoked but I didn't see that it has to be wood or charcoal. Did I read that wrong. I was planning to do something but not with wood or charcoal.

You read it right. We opened it up a while back to include gas or electric grills or smokers. Come join the fun!

That does look great.

Then go for it. Grilled as in charcoal, wood and or gasser, Smoked as in offset, WSM, UDS, OTG or a chip pack in a gasser. Just have to cook it over fire. Also remember to state at the beginning "This is my entry" and at the end "This is my entry shot" within your post. And the special rule for the Gravy TD is that the gravy MUST be made from the drippings of the cooked protein. Other than that you good to go. The Lamb TD has no special rules, just Cook lamb over fire.................simple. Welcome to the TD and Good Luck

It funny to me that it didn't even occur to me that it should be grilled or smoked until after I had peeped it and **** the photos... So, I finally read the rules. No worries.

I'll do some lamb next week! With fire!

That looks great! Just because it wasn't cooked on the grill doesn't mean that we don't want the details!

Details.

The meat was braised in the Dutch oven with beef stock and Malbec till fork tender. Toss in the veg about an hour before it was pulled out of the oven.

The gravy is the braising liquid was simmered with a shallot and reduced till it coated a spoon. I strained it put it back on the heat then thickens with a little corn starch slurry. Pulled off the heat and stirred in a little butter.

The mash is a roasted butternut mash.

Thanks! Remember, as much as we love pictures, we're here to learn from each other. Providing details on the cook and recipes helps everyone!

Heres a better writeup of the process.

If your pressed for time cut the roast into manageable chucks, maybe 2-3 inch squares.

Start by getting a dutch oven nice and hot. I do this by preheating the over to 350 and leaving the in in for a half hour.

Pat dry and then salt your beef liberally with kosher salt. Brown the beef on all sides and remove from the pan. Add chopped onions to the pan and cook till translucent. Add a little beef broth to the bottom, maybe a half cup. Now add the beef back in and sprinkle with flour (my wife is gluten free so i skip this step, but if it was just for me id do it) put in the oven uncovered for 10 min.

Put the lid on and reduce the heat to 275 and let it sit for 90 min. After 90 min I pull it out and drain all of the liquid into a pyrex measuring cups to let the fat separate. Skim off the fat and dump what you have left into a pan. Mince a shallot and turn the heat onto low. Reduce by half then take off the heat, save for later.

Chop up some carrots and celery and crush 3 or 4 cloves of garlic and a potato or two and put it in the pot with the beef. Add a cup of red wine. I like Malbecs and Merlots now add a pint or so of beef broth (chicken if you want to tome down the richness). Toss some rosemary, thyme, and a bay leaf on top, cover and get it back into the oven.

It's done when the beef is fork tender. It'll take another hour or so.

Remove from the oven. Use a baster and suck out some of the braising liquid (a cup or so) and add it to your pan with the reduced stock from earlier. Crack some fresh pepper in and kick the heat to medium and reduce it by 1/3.

Strain and add back to the pan.

Mix a tablespoon of corn starch with 1/4 cup of cold water. Stir and add to your reduction. Bring to a simmer then kill the heat. let cool for a min or two then stir in a tablespoon of butter.

Plate the beef and pour some gravy on top.

Serve with mach potatoes, mash squash, pasta. rice... whatever.

Back