November "Why I deserve this" Contest - BBQ related

Ashmont

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
MUST READ ALL THE WAY THROUGH
Miss me! Been busy so I took October off. For that reason I and bumping this prize up.

I will accept the first 10 contestants.
No past contestants can apply until 12 months after a past Why I deserve this win.
The contest will entries end 11-14-08 at 4pm CST
Voting will end 11-21-08 at 4pm
Write a story and post to this thread. (Must Be original not copied from the web)
Prize will be mailed Free of charge) to contestant in USA (Sorry guys)
Its a 22.5in Weber kettle Missing lower airflow wings (Repair kit is included). I has a raiser rack for the grate.

Needs a little TLC.....
This is a rescued Kettle..... The stories start now.....

IMG_0638.jpg

IMG_0639.jpg

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

Why I deserve this, because well, I never had a kettle, I do not have a basic grill that runs on something other than gas.

I went and "bought" one once from target, just to hear my wife, take it back, you have to many grills, tried to explain that it's charcoal, didn't work.

thanks ashmont, love the contests you do

Last edited:
I deserve this because this kettle is actually in better shape than mine and I can use the extra parts to make a UDS.

I deserve this because I only need the lid and that one half grate as they are rare like rocking horse poop over here.

Ya I know this is only a US based award only but I thought I would cry out loud anyway.

i deserve this because i don't have quite enough crap on my porch yet and i'm too cheap to buy 1.

Busy making hamburger patties?

why is the grate upside down?

I deserve this because after all the time I have been searching CL, all of the kettles I have found have been in either Omaha or Lincoln. It is a 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive from out here in the Styx. A Weber kettle would allow me to get back to "basics" and refine my Q abilities to actually turn out bite through skin on my chix, as well as indirect cooking for ribs.

I can't even find one new around here without dropping $100. I have searched at Wal-Mart, and have found only cheap imitations.
If I am the lucky one to win, I would make it a priority to clean her, to bring her up to being worthy of being a piece of equipment that any Brethren would be proud to own.

Feel my pain, Brothers???

I deserve this because I'm picking up a chit load of food grade drums tomorrow and will need the lid to make a "Traveling UDS". Got the idea from Roo-B-Q'n on my Free Drum thread. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51798 Thought I'd just build another UDS and see where it ends up. If a local or visiting Brethren needs a pit he / she can use it then pass it on in their travels.

I deserve this because I would give this Weber to a friend of mine that is also a co-worker at my job. I bring Q to work every Monday and he doesnt have a grill and has been wanting to Q ever since I started bringing it to work.

He has 4 kids and 2 jobs. Not nearly enough time to be with them on the weekday, but on the weekends he has time. I think it would be a great early christmas present for him and his family.

I have a kettle and a gasser n my APT balcony, so personally I dont need it nor have room. It would be for a friend.

I don't deserve this

Saw this thread this morning, and thought maybe I'd stop back and enter. Glad I waited, because I can't possibly beat Bacon's submission. Somebody buy that brother a beer...........

Can't do it.... just rescued a cheap 22 1/2" kettle OTG knockoff w/table (Kingsford-Masterbuilt). Will probably add smokenbeer's beercan baffle.

However... will vote for Bacon!!! Attaboy Brother!

I am not in need of this bbq pit, but am entering for my oldest son Nick. Nick doesn't have a bbq pit as of yet. He, his wife, and baby do enjoy bbq but to this date has not gotten a bbq pit due to the struggles of a new marraige and all that goes along with that. I have been watching the CL and other related ways to get him a kettle but to date have not been successful. I think that my son Nick and his new family deserve this prize.

Thanks Tex...but I'll have to defer to Bacon on this one...need comes before fun in my book! :p
Demmit, JD. Whatever happened to " If I win, I'll let you use the 'Brethren Drum' first"????:mad:

I too was gonna toss my hat in the ring, citing the need for a bigger kettle with my family of six. I was gonna cry the blues about having to use a gas grill last night to grill the 8 ribeyes we had for dinner (company). Truth is, I guess I can afford to buy what I want or need, and Bacon's generosity is commendable.

Bacon get's my vote.

Alright, I’ll have a go at this…
Why I deserve this Weber Kettle that’s in need of T.L.C.?
Kismet, Fate, Destiny, give it any name that you want to, this is how I describe the events that took place yesterday afternoon.
I got home from work around 11:30 yesterday morning and proceeded to get my DrumPit ready for the day’s Smoking of meat. I had lit the coals and placed them into the Pit to come to temp and went inside to prep the food. When I came back outside I heard some bumping and grunting inside my Barn. It was my Daddy, getting his Ducks in a Row to finalize Electrifying my Barn. I took a seat next to him to watch in earnest as he made his preparations to delve into the mysteries of excited protons traveling back and forth along a set path (AC) when his Phone rings.
Now, when my Daddy leaves his house to venture into the Yard and Beyond, he always does two things:
1 Make sure he has his house keys and
2 Slips his portable house phone into a holster upon his belt.
Here we are in my Barn, which is over 200 feet away from his house, and his Phone is ringing. He answers, “Hello?” He looks to me and hands me his phone, “I believe it’s for you.” He says.
I take his phone from him and say, “Hello?” Imagine my surprise when on the other end of the line is My Friend Ashmont. Ashmont had called to catch up on things and to shoot the breeze. He asked me had I saw this thread and was I gonna enter into the competition? Now, I didn’t give it a second thought that Ashmont had called up on my Father’s phone, I assumed that he had called my number and talked to Cathy inside the house and she had given him my Daddy’s phone number. When I got back inside I asked Cathy about this to which she replied that, no, she had not answered the phone earlier, it had rung but she assumed that the answering machine had got the call.
Alright, apparently, here in God’s Country, the Parcel Post leaves your mail inside unlocked vehicles instead of the MailBox and the Phone Service just shoots your unanswered incoming calls to any old Phone within range, be it your phone number or not.

This is why I think I deserve the Kettle.
Ashmont’s call to me, finding me through the Ether, not where it was directed, but by where it was intended.:biggrin:

I deserve to win this because it won't cost marty anything to ship it to me. I can be at his house in 20 minutes

So financially I am helping out a brother

Back