Big Momma Smokes Some Butts

Meat Man

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My wife, daughter and I took a cooking class together last week. Well little I'd I expect to put out of a job. Our family loves to cook, and my wife has always seemed to have a gift when it comes to recipe development. Many of our most popular items at our butcher shop are things she has come up with over the years. Well today Big Momma (she's always called herself that) decided she was going to cook up a couple of pork butts and compare two different flavor profiles. One we have used in the last two comps, and a new one we learned at the cooking class with a few tweaks.
Injected
5296dd81fb201ecdc8140bbf41d87ff1.jpg

Seasoned and sweated and on the cooker
1dc64c9699648f32994b94077a2b502b.jpg

Spritzed
40d1542d030a97b4482b11c648a7a3d6.jpg

I cooked lunch, I love Pastrami
1f4d4f3b040a88eeb8bcd18c1a26f697.jpg

Foiled with some love
c55b3f25b1cd1d2aee91887fea7adfd0.jpg

Finished
6a76eb3943836c9dd88e1df42e77906e.jpg

Not bad for the first time, slightly over done but the improvements to the flavor were great.
Signed out of work smoker

Good idea with the Brown Sugar and honey when you foiled.

How'd you like the flavor of that?

Wow that looks soooo good. Momma looks like she is having WAY too much fun with that injector.

Did you just foil for the rest period or did that go back on the smoker? Looks great and the brown sugar, pad o' butter, & honey intrigue me....

Did you put that back on the smoker after foiling or did it just rest with all that goodness off of it? The brown sugar, pad o; butter, & honey really intrigue me.....
Great Job :eusa_clap

Question about the foiling aspect....back on the smoker or just let it rest foiled with all of that goodness on top? My posts keep disappearing so I apologize if they all show up at once.

Oh yeah, that looks farking good!

That is a nice idea to foil the butts with brown sugar and honey/agave.:doh:
Can you share the injection recipes / flavor profiles/ what worked best?
Always looking for new things to try.
jon

Question about the foiling aspect....back on the smoker or just let it rest foiled with all of that goodness on top? My posts keep disappearing so I apologize if they all show up at once.

Oh yeah, that looks farking good!

I really like to pull them out of the foil at 185 to 190 and finish them off on the smoker without the foil. Then rewrap and rest.

That is a nice idea to foil the butts with brown sugar and honey/agave.:doh:
Can you share the injection recipes / flavor profiles/ what worked best?
Always looking for new things to try.
jon

Without getting too complicated, I like the Kosmos Pork injection w/ some applejuice and hot sauce. It's a great injection. The brown sugar, butter with the sweet stuff definitely leans toward the sweet/heat profile. Just make sure you reseve some of the drippings off the butts and mix that with your sauce. I like 50/50. Its pretty good stuff.

Back