Gearing up for the cooler weather

ZILLA

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Gone are the nights where I sweat until dawn where upon the full rising of the sun I begin to completely dehydrate hoping I make it to the awards building before 5pm and before passing out. Gone are the days of packing light and fast without even the sides to my canopies.
Gone are the days of a 20 minute breakdown and hookup. I need to start thinking about it dropping to the cooler temperatures. It's a tricky thing here in south Texas where we can still have daytime temperatures of 90*+ and then drop to 45* in the early morning. I have, more than once, left without my warm clothes or my Mexican blankets and for that matter any long pants at all, after sweating my arse off packing up, only to start feeling very uncomfortable by 1am. :shocked: :doh:

Time to....
refill the Propane
pack the Sunflower
the canopy sides
the blankets
the flannel horsey pajamas and smoking jacket
the rain poncho
the wind brakes
the rubber boots (for when Dustaway drops by to visit):becky:
the Carhart chore coat
the hooded sweat shirt

At least I don't have to haul twenty liters of drinking water anymore. Six will do in the cooler months. :roll:

Darwin, tonight I am in Evanston, Wyoming with the heater running in the camper. I want to get south before it snows!!

NUTZ

At that first cooler-weather contest, it's a shock to realize that honey doesn't always flow like water. At 68 degrees, I'm busting out the down parka.

You sure did get around the country John! I really enjoyed your updates. Must have been a wonderful trip but it's always nice to get back home eh? Safe travels brother!

Flannel horsey pajamas and smoking jacket, eh? The Big and Tall shop must be diversifying their inventory.:wink:

I like cooler weather! When the highs are around 40F I don't panic as much about getting the chicken back in the cooler.

And Brian's right - I use lots of layers so I can add and subtract them as needed to remain comfy. Nice idea about the smoking jacket though -

Yep Darwin, I won't miss the 100+ plus degree days. My only saving grace is my enclosed trailer with the a/c.

Hey Zilla I know what you mean I get to flip the switch from AC to Heat.
Thank for the reminder :thumb:

Had a load of firewood delivered yesterday; fresh split red oak. Oh the wonderful
smell. Monday will be another load of fresh split hickory. I love fall!!!!!

Hey Zilla I know what you mean I get to flip the switch from AC to Heat.
Thank for the reminder :thumb:

Don't be surprised to find me in your trailer set up in that Chair you sold me with the heat on. Don't worry though, I won't set any video cams to shig your rib recipe. ;)

It's all about layering.

Hell yes. I'll layer some underarmor under some denim and wool under some down, with a layer of hotel room around it.
shiner.gif

I have noticed, when looking back at cooking journals the last few years, that I actually seem to grill and smoke MORE in the colder months than the warmer months. I think it's because when I'm homebound and surfing the forums, I get hungry for BBQ. In the summer I guess I get out more? Or it could be work. In my line of work it's usually busiest from late Spring through early fall.

We packed the trailer with forced air heater, glad we had it a couple of weeks ago, those 5am prep session can be a bit nippy............

and yes, its going with us to Lynchburg, not taking any chances in having the Secretary of Domestic Tranquility being uncomfortable.

We packed the trailer with forced air heater, glad we had it a couple of weeks ago, those 5am prep session can be a bit nippy............

and yes, its going with us to Lynchburg, not taking any chances in having the Secretary of Domestic Tranquility being uncomfortable.

Best bring an extra tank too since you seem to like having it on high :flame:

45 at night is warm. We've already had a hard freeze here. I'll be heading for Florida in a month.

45 at night is warm. We've already had a hard freeze here. I'll be heading for Florida in a month.

No it is not warm. If you get caught in shorts and a tee shirt and have to spend the night out you will be cold I don't care where you come from.

Back