• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Best thermometer?

thaifighter06

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I see everyone and their mom's signature with Thermapens. Anyone have other suggestions? I have an iGrill, which in theory, should be awesome, but it's been faulty. I love the idea of a remote thermometer. Suggestions?

I have (2) wireless units I bought at Walmart. Not sure the brand, but I think it's "The Backyard Grill", $15 each.

I've only used them a couple times, so I can't speak for longevity, but they work great. I have the receivers sitting in the house while I"m doing other stuff and can see the temp at any given time.

Remote, Check out the maverick ET-73 and 732. I have the 72 and 73 and love both of them. Amazon has the 73 on sale (or at least had it on sale)

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Remote-Wireless-Thermometer-ET-73/dp/B0044FFUMK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1347391129&sr=8-4&keywords=maverick+et732"]Amazon.com: Maverick Remote Smoker Dual Probe Wireless Thermometer ET-73: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

Yeah, bad history at our house with remotes.. None ever make it very long before something breaks for some reason or another.. The last one (don't recall the brand) lasted literally two cooks..!:doh:

We've been using a Thermapen ever since.. No issues.. We even used it yesterday to test out a new furnace thermostat we had installed.. The Thermopen is the most accurate temp probe I've got.. The new thermostat was off by 2 degrees.. Not bad..

I've never had the first issue with either of my Mavericks. I know a few on here have mentioned they had some problems with their 72, but I've had it nearly it a year, and it's still kicking strong.

Thermoworks rt301wa or rt600c (by the company that makes the thermapen). THermapen is a little better but wayyy more $$.

For dual probe: et 732.

Last edited:
Maverick ET-732 is my go-to...I have 2 of them and love them. Not only do I get a great signal in my basement, but last night I walked 1.5 blocks away and still had signal.

I bought mi at wally world also got 2 . Just watch the dbl read out. They work great one at one end one at the other. Turn one one wait then the other you'll get them both:thumbup: like 15$ each. Just test in ice. And in boil water. I stick one in meat when I get close and leave till done. Hell I already know temp in smoker.
Only thing it sets off my remote door bell:D wife hates it at 5 am:D

Thermoworks rt301wa or rt600c (by the company that makes the thermapen). THermapen is a little better but wayyy more $$.

For dual probe: et 732.

I still don't get why folks spend the extra $$ for Thermapens - now I remember - it's because I'm a cheap bastige. I love the rt600c, and can buy 3 more for what a Thermapen would have cost. I don't need to know the temp of the meat 3 seconds sooner. I can live with that.

I have both the et-7 and et-73 from Maverick. For my use, I added an antenna (there are threads about this mod if you search for them) to each unit and found that the transmitter from the et7 and the receiver from the et-73 work best together. When my current setup breaks, i will most likely get the et-732.

im a newbie .. and i have a decent digi therm probe that is dead on per the boiling water trick ..

BUT .. i dont even turn it on, i jsut wait for the meat to probe like buttaaah... i guess i might use it for chicken or steak but honestly i do that by touch for a while now..

idk

shouldnt hate on the thermopen. Mine went through the wash machine. like an idiot, I open it up and turn it on and it still worked. close it up, poured about 1/2oz of water out of the battery cover and let ot sit open for a couple days and she still works like a champ. The thing that frustrates me most about it, its that it doesnt lie

Back