Chef’s Select Charcoal

John Bowen

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
:decision:
Has anyone else used Chef’s Select Charcoal?????? I have been using it for close to 3 months and although I love it I am having a small issue with it running away from me. I start my fire just like I do with KB and it burns great for about 2.5 hours and then it wants to run away on me going from 230 to 275. It does this in my Tucker Cooker and my BWS Party. When I use a “snake” or fuse burn it helps but it still runs up to 250. The Chef’s Select is a mix of oak and hickory and it tends to pop like lump does.

The temp run up does not bother me on Boston butts and brisket but I do not want to cook my ribs that hot.

Has anyone used this charcoal or do you have any suggestions?
:wacko::mmph:

Hi John,
I use Royal Oak Chef's Select in my WSMs all the time, in fact used some in my Weber kettle last night to cook supper.
Not sure what's going on with your set up, but I never have popping or runaway temps.
Just another one of those things that makes you say "Hmmm" I guess.

may want to adjust your air intakes.. when it starts to get to hot.. lil less oxygen should keep that temp at your target.. make sure you keep the intakes out of the wind. that can cause her to heat up in a hurry too..

Thanks for the ideas – as far as intakes I close my system and use a Digi Q and a fan. I am doing everything I did when I used KB – I am wondering if I am bringing it up to temp too fast. When I want to run at 230 I leave the vents all open until the smoker hits 200 degrees and then shut it down and let the fan run it up to 230. Yesterday when the temp started rising I shut the fan off and blocked the input and it went to 275.

I also wondered if the cherry wood chunks are pushing it to burn hotter?

Anytime i use my BBQ Guru on my WSM I just put 10 or so lit ontop of the unlit and let the Guru bring it all the way upto temp.

Well I am putting about half a chiminey - that might the problem right there.

Back