Sam's - Fantasy league

Brew-B-Q

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Despite the anticlimactic end to last year's run, I would like to see something again this year. I have a few ideas bouncing around that would make it simple to participate in and manage.

The biggest pitfall I see so far is that many of the local qualifiers are not filled up yet, and some are quite a ways off. According to the rules, the team list will not be released until they have 30 teams confirmed. So, according to that, we may not know the teams at a particular event until the Friday of the contest. Which would of course make my idea useless.

Just wondering if anyone knows whether or not this is what KCBS really plans to do, or if I'm missing something.

Not yet. I'm looking at something where everyone submits their winners for the locals by a certain date, prior to the first competition in Tampa. Right now, that would be impossible since we don't know who is competing in 75% of the comps.

Basically, I was thinking people can submit a list of 6 teams for each regional, ranked by confidence. For each one that moves on to a regional, you get a point for your rank. I think I would double or triple the points you can earn if you correctly pick teams to advance that finished outside the top 35, 50, or some number based on the Pickled Pig rankings for 2011.

Then, when you get to the regional level, you confidence rank up to 10 of the teams that you correctly predicted would be there. The teams that move on to the final will get points, but more, similar to the first round.

Same thing for the final where you get to rank your teams, again with more points being awarded for success.

Sample timeline:
2/17 – All entries due for each local. Participants select 6 teams from each of the 25 local qualifiers. They have 150 teams that they hope to see move on.
5/11 – New Mexico list is due
8/3 – Illinois list is due
9/14 – Virginia list is due
9/21 – Tennessee list is due
9/28 – Missouri list is due
10/12 – Arkansas list is due

Sounds good to me. i can see where having the team lists published would be important :)

if you build it they will come............

I had a blast picking last year, I imagine the administration of the thing had to be a major PIA! Thought it was a good system but its a 10 month process, hard for those of us with ADD

If they keep the rule of no cook doing more than 1, I think we'll see some that don't fill up. With the trend here in FL for last minute entries it could well be the 16th if Tampat fills up. Expect we'll see that at some others. Also lots of folks signed up and now dropping out. Probably can publish a list until at least a week before and may not have a list on KCBS website at all.

2012 Sam's Club Fantasy BBQ Contest

So if this is going to happen this year, we are down to the last few days before it needs to get organized.

I think one of the reasons that last year's deal flamed out at the end of the year was it was pretty complicated to administer and track. Every regional had to be seeded ahead of time, the awards shows were major undertakings (although entertaining), etc.

Maybe we can simplify this for 2012 and have a better shot of getting it all the way to the end of the Sam's National event in October. Maybe I can talk Brew-B-Q into helping as well. :grin:

Here's my proposal:

- No seeding of teams will occur.

A simplified scoring system, as follows:

- For each event, you pick who you think will get the GC, and you pick who you think will finish in the Top 10.

- If you pick the GC correct, you receive 10 points.

- For each team you pick to finish in the top 10 correctly, you are awarded 1 point per team.

- All Sam's events would be treated equally. Local, Regional and the National final will all be scored the same way, as described above.

So a submission would be simply:

My pick for GC: Team Name
My pick for Top 10: List 10 of the teams competing in that event.

We'll track cumulative points, and we can declare winners for each region and an end of year best picker for the entire year.

Anyone can participate, entries just have to be posted in this thread prior to the 1st turn in time of the contest that you are picking.

Unlike last year, none of the pre-work is done to line up folks who are willing to donate product or gifts for winners, so this would just be for bragging rights unless prize donors come forward.

Whaddya think? Give it a thumbs up :thumb: if you want to participate.

Here are the teams for the 1st local, which starts this weekend:

Region 3 Local Event: Tampa, FL
Date: February 18, 2012

1. Big Tymer Bbq
  2. accutech bbq
  3. Big Papa's Country Kitchen
  4. Sweet Smoke Q
  5. Everglades Seasoning BBQ Team
  6. Git-R-Smoked
  7. bamboo warrior
  8. TEAM HOLY HOG BBQ
  9. Hot Wachulas
  10. Getta Grip BBQ
  11. Whiskey Bent BBQ
  12. great lakes bbq & feed co
  13. SunState Smokers
  14. All Fired Up and Kicking Ash
  15. Good Buddies BBQ
  16. Naked Bones
  17. Dr. BBQ
  18. southern style bbq
  19. florida's divine swine
  20. Kathleen Roadkill

I think you would make it even easier on yourself if you just told everyone to pick their top ten. Then to score give each correct entry a point and each correct placing an extra point.

So if i pick Capt'n Ron to win and he gets 10th i still get a point but would have gotten two points if he won.

If i could help you a week here or there let me know.

I thought picking 10/30 was too many and a lot of the entries were basically the same as a result. I think picking 5/30 would be more interesting. .02

Back