Stumps Clone build

S

suprfast

Its going to take me some time to build this so i figured why not start with diagrams. Everyone is more than welcome to critique my cads. the more help i get the better i can fine tune. Ill post a link directly to the picasa page because it doesnt always appear larger enough when posting the pics directly.

http://picasaweb.google.com/krislewis76/Clone#

I think im set on the firebox. 1/2" for the fire area and bottom portion of chute, 3/8" for the ash box and transition box.
firebox.jpg

This part will take a lot of fine tuning. Im thinking of new stuff every day, and changing it.
skeleton%20front.jpg

skeleton%20side.jpg

Soon enough ill start the actual build(hopefully within the next two to three weeks).

Side note. This is my first week using autocad so ive crashed coursed myself. Bear with me.
kris

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it looks pretty darn good, I gotta say, I built a stumps clone, and LOVE it, great cooker, third of the price. Fun to build and to cook on, I cant say enough about it. have fun buddy

Thanks. It seems like this forum(ive given it so much praise, but ill end up giving it more) really cares more about quality than the last forum i ditched. There it was all about the rustiest metal you can find to build a uds. Not my style.

On topic
I appreciate the nice comments. Keep them coming so i can keep motivated with the cad portion.

Thanks. It seems like this forum(ive given it so much praise, but ill end up giving it more) really cares more about quality than the last forum i ditched. There it was all about the rustiest metal you can find to build a uds. Not my style.

On topic
I appreciate the nice comments. Keep them coming so i can keep motivated with the cad portion.

lots of good folks here and a few who have done clone builds with success. Please post pics as you go, I would love to see your progress. Going back and forth on if I want to build one myself.

There is no question that i will be building one. Its everything i want in a smoker. My long smokes on the UDS kill me when they are at night. I hate setting timers, etc...

Ill post everything.
kris

One question, two considerations - What is the distance between the shelves? You'll want 4 (min) - 6 inches if you plan on doing a lot of shoulders or full packer briskets. Also, you might want to consider putting the firebox on the back. One of the key reasons we bought a Superior over a Stumps is the firebox being on the back. To me, there's a lot to be said for being able to open the door all the way, not half/three-quarters.

One question, two considerations - What is the distance between the shelves? You'll want 4 (min) - 6 inches if you plan on doing a lot of shoulders or full packer briskets. Also, you might want to consider putting the firebox on the back. One of the key reasons we bought a Superior over a Stumps is the firebox being on the back. To me, there's a lot to be said for being able to open the door all the way, not half/three-quarters.

5" gap between shelves(7 shelves) and i even plan to add another position at 2.5" between those just to offer more adjust ability. Im thinking the only way to put the box in the back would be to extend the smoker longer than its width. Ill look into it.

My overall smoking chamber will be 46x30x24 which is more than enough room. 35x30x24 will encompass the shelving and the remainder 11" are the drip tray are beneath.

You don't have to make it wider / longer, I'd just shift it to the back. You'd end up with the same footprint, just deep instead of wide. Also, really look around for some high rated tires/wheels and know your weight load. If you're guessing it weights 800lbs, make sure you get 800lbs+ rated tires. Yes, you will spread the weight across both of the wheels, but if and when you turn it, it will all shift to the outside wheel. If you've got 600lb rated wheels, the 800lb pressure will fold the wheel (found this out in talking with Jeff @ Superior about the wheels).

One other note for ya from someone that built a smoker. On my cooker, the only thing I would have done differently is to make the size of your racks big enough to hold Full Size alluminum pans. Mine will, but I have to bend them a little. If it could only have been 2 inches longer.

Dan

Also, really look around for some high rated tires/wheels and know your weight load. If you're guessing it weights 800lbs, make sure you get 800lbs+ rated tires. Yes, you will spread the weight across both of the wheels, but if and when you turn it, it will all shift to the outside wheel. If you've got 600lb rated wheels, the 800lb pressure will fold the wheel

I have to wonder how fast Jeff is moving and turning the smoker to transfer that much weight to one wheel. I replaced my stock wheels with no-flat 500# capacity, and it seems just fine. Not doubting that it can happen, just haven't had problems myself.

Looks like I am at the same stage as you. I am building a clone also.
The only thing I would change is your charcoal chute. It is 7" all the down to the firebox which is 8", but there is no taper to it. You may want to consider the top of the chute 6" and add a gradual taper to 8" at the firebox. The new model Stumps have this in order to prevent charcoal bridges. You shouldn't have any bridges with a 7" chute, but this early in the build, it would be an easy adjustment to make. I have incorporated this into my design (found this tip on another forum).

Thanks guys. Im looking into all recommendations. what are the size of aluminum pans? I know costco carries two sizes and i plan to incorporate a drip tray holder that will hold these pans too.
kris

Thanks guys. Im looking into all recommendations. what are the size of aluminum pans? I know costco carries two sizes and i plan to incorporate a drip tray holder that will hold these pans too.
kris

The full size pans measure 12 3/4 x 20 3/4 x 3 I'll be following this buil very closely as I am considering a trailer mounted clone. :cool:

Thats a great website, as its where i received most of my initial information about doing this build. If allowed, i can post most of the good websites im using as a reference.

By the sounds of the dimensions i will be just fine. Also, i plan to use heavy duty trailer wheels on one side only. Not a big fan of casters since i could possibly be pushing this through grass at one time or another.

Ill be giving up the drums. Im sure i can sell them locally to almost fund my whole project.

btw, i have two drums fully built for sale in CA:)

JD, Don't know if you are interested, but if you are looking into a trailer mounted version, here is a thread on a platinum 5 series Stumps clone.

http://www.phpbbserver.com/smokinjim/viewtopic.php?t=2605&mforum=smokinjim

Thanks man...good info there. I'm thinking about a vertical with the chute in the center back...water pan...maybe dual exhausts (each side) to control side to side temps. Probably 18"D x 48"W x 36"H smoke chamber.

And give up the life of drums? Blasphemy!

:lol::lol::lol:...I gave those up a while back. I still like to build them but it's all bullets and eggs here baby! :cool:

Please pardon the temporary hijack...:icon_blush: Now...back to the build...

My wife's cousin owns a sheet metal shop in So-Cal. I'm working on the plans now and will get with him for the build. I'm also considering a pellet pooper clone as well...:cool:

The full size pans measure 12 3/4 x 20 3/4 x 3 I'll be following this buil very closely as I am considering a trailer mounted clone. :cool:

Hotel pans (full size) come in 2", 3", 4" and 6" heights. I use 4" deep pans when I make my peach cobbler to prevent it bubbling over the side - it's easier than using cookie sheets to catch the drips, much less messy too. If I built a clone it would hold hotel pans with room around all edges for air to circulate, probably 2" each side, thus 17x25 depth/width, probably six or eight cooking racks tall, with 6" vertical rack pitch.

Besides being able to hold hotel pans for warming or cooking in, my other size spec is the ability to efficiently hold racks of ribs. Most racks of pork ribs are about 21-22" long. I
don't see any reason to use racks wider than that unless you are building a huge commercial smoker.

seattlepitboss

Back