Cooking with Ceramic tiles?

S

SmokeInDaEye

I was looking for a pizza stone to use on the grill last weekend, but also remembered I have a dozen or so ceramic kitchen tiles. Any reason I couldn't use them? It's just glazed ceramic and should stand up to the heat.

I guess they should work as long as there was no lead in the glaze... I seem to remember then using lead a number of years ago in Mexico and it caused a stir.. Just would worry if they contained it and then you warmed the tiles up....

I wouldn't because it's glazed, one reason due to what Divemaster stated. Glazes are baked on, so they typically contain heavy metals of some sort, commonly lead. If you get a lead test kit, you still aren't too sure what else may be in the glaze. If it were just plain ceramic, then no problem, but once a glaze gets on there, you don't know what you have anymore.

To quote the master Alton Brown:

Prehistoric precedence aside, hot rock bakery is rock- solid science, especially if said rock can absorb and radiate high levels of heat without cracking under the strains of repeated heatings and coolings. Now, you could march down to Gourmets 'R Us and plop down 30 or 40 bucks for a pizza stone. But, a well-placed, unglazed quarry tile—ninety-nine cents—from a building supply will do the job just fine. Now since they are porous, tiles wick steam away from the dough producing a crisp crust.

But, a well-placed, unglazed quarry tile—ninety-nine cents—from a building supply will do the job just fine. Now since they are porous, tiles wick steam away from the dough producing a crisp crust.
I think the key word is 'UNGLAZED'..

Ah, good advice. Maybe I'll start with an unglazed tile before plopping down more money on a real stone. I guess those damn kitchen tiles will continue to take up space.

You can get fire brick too. Ask for what thye use wood burning pizza ovens.

FYI, I borrowed my wifes "Pampered Chef brand" pizza stone. Put it on a kettle, and it cracked in half. Good quality stuff huh.

FYI, I borrowed my wifes "Pampered Chef brand" pizza stone. Put it on a kettle, and it cracked in half. Good quality stuff huh.

If you had read the instructions on that, it tells you..."DO NOT PUT ON GRILL"

I did the same thing...DOH!!!!:frown:

If you can find one, try the one for the BGE... I think they are thicker... Also a 'Plate Setter' may work as well since they are made to sit directly over the coals...

If you had read the instructions on that, it tells you..."DO NOT PUT ON GRILL"

I did the same thing...DOH!!!!:frown:

Good to know. The reason I was shopping for a real pizza stone is because I stained my wife's pampered chef cookie sheet making calzones on the grill. Glad I didn't crack it too.

You might try to find a local potter. I bet they could make an unglazed one for not too bad of a price. You might be able to give them the correct size for the grill rack and pick how thick you want it. Just an idea.

How thick would you all suggest. We have a local pottery business and I never thought about having the guy make me one up.

Thanks
Scott

I agree with the BGE pizza stone or plate setter.

To quote the master Alton Brown:

You da man! I was looking for Alton's quote and you beat me to it.

I got really lucky once when I used the wife's Pampered Chef stone. I didnt break. But I rested it on 2 firebricks on their edge.

KCQuerpizza2.jpg

Back