Lamb Chops USA Style

SmokinAussie

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne
G'Day Bruces':becky:

Whaddaya mean.... USA Style:confused:

Is there a USA Style for doing lamb chops??? Well farkers, I'm glad you asked. There is.:mod:

One thing I've noticed a lot is that BBQ Chicken and Pork Ribs and Chops of all kinds are rubbed and then glazed with a sauce in the grill, indirect. This is not how we do it in Australia. Most Aussies would look at your BBQ chicken, slathered with layer after layer after layer of sauce, and just wonder why... Is it the sauce you're after??? Why even bother with the chicken. But anyway, I digress. ( Oh yeah, I and I DO know that not all of you do your chicken that way, or like it that way. I'm just generalising on the general standard, which is sauced.)

I thought I'd do my lamb chops the same way, but with only one application of BBQ sauce. It turned out pretty good.

First I used a commercial McCormacks "Cajun" rub that's readily available in the US. These chops are a shoulder chop, also called a Round Bone Chop here.
DSC_0002.jpg

I found this BBQ Sauce from Knorr. A quick web search told me it is available for purchase in the US. I'm no judge as to how good this sauce is, but I got 2 half gallon bottles of the stuff for $12.00 bucks!
DSC_0009.jpg

And so I sauced the Lamb chops and cooked grilled indirect at 250F for about 20 mins
DSC_0005.jpg

After that time, moved them over direct heat. I was using lump and oak.
DSC_0013.jpg

Then things started to heat up a bit!
DSC_0015.jpg

Lamb fat can flare up a bit, so I was watching this one. Glad I got the shot though! Looks awesome!
DSC_0017.jpg

These few got a bit more of a char than I was really planning, but they were still awesome!
DSC_0018.jpg

Then I moved them off the heat, closed the vents and let them sit a few minutes while I set the table.
DSC_0020.jpg

On the plate:
DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

And served with salad, slaw and potatoe salad (Pretty simple for a Monday night!)
DSC_0023.jpg

I took the ones that copped the most char
DSC_0024.jpg

And the FORK shot! Well, some people would call this a little overdone. I usually like it more red than this, but I was not dissapointed. You can see the lamb took on a litte smoke. In retrospect, I should have done one more layer of sauce to glaze to make it a bit more shiny, but there was no complaints from the family. The results were pretty good!
DSC_0028.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Cheers!

Bill

I'm a sans sauce kinda guy as well but that does look pretty farkin good Bill! MMMM Lambbbbb! :thumb:

Cheers

Awesome Wizard of Ausz!
Good to see Knorr used somewhere else!
I always thought it was a Dutch brand but it's origin is from Germany I just discovered....that explains the "rr" in Knorr.:thumb:
I guess Knorr is Dutch now since it has been taken over by Unilever...

Looks great!

However I think you will find the sauce thing is not a USA thing but a regional thing.

Back home in NC, we would never think of ruining a good piece of meat by dousing it in sauce.

:thumb:

That looks good enough to make Waltzing Matilda, Happy.

As far as cooking "USA Style", there isn't a "style".
America is so diverse that it would be impossible to narrow it down to one "style".
If you really want to cook "USA Style", then cook it the way you like best....that
is what "USA Style" is.

Looks great!

However I think you will find the sauce thing is not a USA thing but a regional thing.

Back home in NC, we would never think of ruining a good piece of meat by dousing it in sauce.

:thumb:

Hi John, Yeah I knew that... but coming from Oz, sometimes it's just easier to group the whole nation together, even though that's something I am realising more and more, should not be done. The one thing I can see on this forum is the amazing regionalism of your cuisines, even just in BBQ. I should have titled the thread "Lamb Chops.... Undisclosed USA Regions where you sauce your BBQ":bow:

Cheers!:becky::becky::becky:

Bill

It looks really good! Though I prefer my lamb without too much bbq sauce because I think it takes away too much of the real taste lambs have.

Though I would like to give this a try and sure thing, we always see meat with layers of rubbed condiments and sauce on them, which just makes sure that they will look great, and taste great at that.

Already figured out what to have this Saturday.

Don't know why you think these were at all over the top. I like mine medium rare, and they look amazing to me! Great job!! :thumb:

Hi Bill, I just love big ol' generalizations. They're so much fun! I've eaten a LOT of lamb, especially growing up and I would someday like to try this American-style lamb as I have never experienced it. All the lamb I've eaten has been more or less like what you (typically) have cooked, with some minor variations. I still can't picture that sauce on it. Seems the flavors would compete too much. Well, I'm certainly game. Better go find some Americans somewhere who can show this Aussie-in-Spirit the way. :thumb:

Back