Burnt ends?

Southern Home Boy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
For those of you who turn in burnt ends with your brisket slices, how do you prep them?

By that, I mean, at what point do you separate the point from the flat? How long do you put the point back in to cook for?

I've never done burnt ends at a comp and I'm just trying to figure it out.

Any advice?

we separate our briskets two different ways for comps so we get good burnt ends and a juicy flat. I prefer the burnt ends when we separate the point before cooking, and I prefer the flat when we keep them together and separate before holding. we pull the point around 197.and we cut the burnt ends about an hour before turn in. Put some more rub on them with extra brown sugar and a spray of peach juice.then put them back in the smoker in a tin pan covered with foil. but this is all coming from a rookie:wink: good luckhttp://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1223.snc4/155520_166419160064068_111418092230842_301936_4808193_n.jpg

we separate our briskets two different ways for comps so we get good burnt ends and a juicy flat. I prefer the burnt ends when we separate the point before cooking, and I prefer the flat when we keep them together and separate before holding. we pull the point around 197.and we cut the burnt ends about an hour before turn in. Put some more rub on them with extra brown sugar and a spray of peach juice.then put them back in the smoker in a tin pan covered with foil. but this is all coming from a rookie:wink: good luckhttp://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...60064068_111418092230842_301936_4808193_n.jpg

Nice looking brisket. Loove that smoke ring... :clap2::clap2:

I always separate my point and flat prior to cooking. Typically the point goes 5 - 10 degrees past the flat.

The biggest help to me on this topic was the realization that what KCBS judges expect is not a "real" Burnt End. If you think cubed brisket rather than burnt end, you'll be in good shape.

Turn in blackened, irregular, crispy trimmings from the edge of the brisket and you'll be slammed on the score sheet. For KCBS, you are shooting for a little, perfectly square version of your slices, seasoned on all sides.

Disclaimer: The above observation is based on what I see here in the South. In other parts of the country where brisket is more common things may work differently.

Like most here I've done a few methods...but my usual procedure is to separate point and flat around 160-170 internal temp.
Cube the point, more rub a little sauce of choice and double wrap in hvy foil. I usually check on them periodically to see when they get to the texture I want but have left them on the cooker up till the time of turnin.

I've also seen what I'll refer to as "FAKE ENDS" produced by butterflying a strip on each side the flat. Rather than removing the excess to fit the box, butterfly a strip down each long side of the flat and turn them in to cubes of tender, super seasoned goodness.

best of luck

Ok... so, I'm still struggling a little.

When I do my briskets, I trim the h3ll outta 'em to where the point is only "moderately" attached to the flat, do a "dry marinade" with my rub for a few hours and then I'll cook it that way until hits about 170-175 (depending on the color and texture of the bark), then wrap it in hd foil and back in the cooker till it hits ~200-204 or is appropriately tender. Then, it's wrapped in towels and dropped in a warmed cooler until it's time to slice and box.

At that point, I separate the point and flat, slice the flat and box it. The point has always just been for the cooks to munch and take home after the comp.

I had always kept the point and flat together during the "resting" period because I thought that the excess fat in the point would help distribute to the flat during the rest.

Does it make sense then, to just separate the point and flat after the right tenderness is had in the flat, wrap and rest the flat and while that's in the cooler make the burnt ends?

Sorry to be so dense, I'm just trying to get the process-picture in my mind.

Here in the midwest I have scored well with cubes from point. Not even bark on all 4 sides. I think it depends on where you compete with what judges look for. The main thing is get your slices right first and worry about burnt ends second. If you do them, they should really melt in your mouth and not taste like you cubed the flat.

Back