Do you foil your pork ribs

• I used to but no longer

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • I do occasionally

Votes: 69 55.6%
  • No crutch for me

Votes: 44 35.5%

• Total voters
I don't compete. I started foiling because the family prefers a sweeter flavor, so I do the squeeze margarine/brown sugar/honey thing and they seem to like it. And it helps get the tenderness right, at least to me.

Foil has its place with rib cooks.

I have two rib recipes, one that's a 2-.5-1 method with the 30 minutes in a foil wrap.

Second recipe is a straight up 3-4 hours of cooking. No foil or wrapping. Just rub em down, throw em on the pit, and cook until they pass the bend test.

Both recipes are delicious but I usually lean towards recipe number 2 when cooking for larger crowds.

I've tried both and I prefer no foil. Smoked at 225 until they pass the bend test, 30 minutes prior to pull off. I cook for dinner, never competition.

The only regular smoked food I use foil for is wrapping Boston butts to be placed in a cooler for a couple of hours.

I'm of the personal opinion that when we foil at comps but dont foil at home, it's because our personal tastes are different from the average Joe out there. And, I think it is. In working with smokers we become desensitized to smoke flavor, so to get some on our palate it takes more of it. It's a theory...

I also foil 100% of the time.
Usually for 30 min or so, my family and people I have cooked for like the flavor that way.
I agree with aawa on the point of we eat with our eyes first.
When was the last time you looked at something that didn't look that good and want to try it?

I'm of the personal opinion that when we foil at comps but dont foil at home, it's because our personal tastes are different from the average Joe out there. And, I think it is. In working with smokers we become desensitized to smoke flavor, so to get some on our palate it takes more of it. It's a theory...

Someone mentioned the one bite flavor vs eating it as a meal... i did the Parkay, honey and brown sugar but found myself not wanting to eat much although i liked the flavor. Going dry with a simple rub suits my tastes more now although sometimes folks want some sauce and i'm glad to accomodate them.

I agree we get desensitized but my ribs are going 3 hours anyways so it's spending the same time in the smoke.

I sure don't miss waiting another 3 hours to eat. :grin: 275 throw on some apple wood and it's all good. :biggrin1:

I did not used to foil but tried it with ribs. Now I foil most times for flavor but still like to do them without too.

These were not foiled:

de4okw.jpg

I do not use foil for any other cut of meat though.

Didn't mean to argue or criticize your Q Bubba.
I was making that statement in general as aawa was I'd guess.
Not against the pic you posted

I foil almost all the time. I've tried not foiling and they weren't as good as foiling.
Not foiling is interesting and I am going to try not foiling again; Maybe I can do better. :grin:

/raises hand... yep, I'm a foiler. I didn't know any better - how can it be wrong when it tastes SO good?

Hi. I'm borzwazie, and I'm a foiler.

I like to go 3-2-1 at 220-ish on the baby backs I get from RD, but they're pretty meaty so they take it well. Everyone at work likes them a lot so I must be doing something right. Mine aren't mushy either, I like some bite in my ribs.

The spare ribs I get around here can't take 3-2-1 without going mushy on me, though.

I've experimented with no-foil, higher-temp cooks, but I just don't get the same quality of cook. The experiments continue, however. BBQ - for science!

Hi. I'm borzwazie, and I'm a foiler.

I like to go 3-2-1 at 220-ish on the baby backs I get from RD, but they're pretty meaty so they take it well. Everyone at work likes them a lot so I must be doing something right. Mine aren't mushy either, I like some bite in my ribs.

The spare ribs I get around here can't take 3-2-1 without going mushy on me, though.

I've experimented with no-foil, higher-temp cooks, but I just don't get the same quality of cook. The experiments continue, however. BBQ - for science!
All in the name of science! ;) Olive oil and rub and i stick with a steady 275 but have went 250 until i get the desired pull back and probes tender....usually I can pull about the 3 hour mark but 4 for sure. It's really nice being able to taste the meat... more and more going with the simple approach to Q.

I did not used to foil but tried it with ribs. Now I foil most times for flavor but still like to do them without too.

These were not foiled:

de4okw.jpg

I do not use foil for any other cut of meat though.

Them some beautiful ribs right there.

I foil every time, but i'm a NOB! I haven't had any luck getting a super juice rib with out foil.

not that i'm against it, but I've never foiled a rib.

Back