Pizza Oven and BBQ Build Thread

Yes, the third pic (top right) was a silly attempt to use a cheap refractory insulation from Menards. That was a waste of time and $$!!
Either by the commercial stuff or do it the hard way like I did with the pearlite concrete.

The commercial stuff was very expensive so I used 'home brew' (mixture of portland cement, fireclay, silica sand, and lime) for mortaring the fire bricks. Where I did spent some $$$ on were for the ceramic insulation boards and blankets.
I also used a mixture of vermiculite and portland cement to "mold and shape" the final look of the oven before final rendering and finish coats.

WOW! Amazing masonry skills, and it looks like it is coming together beautifully.

Where did you get the clay chimney/flue liner from?

The flue pieces came from a friend, although it was available from the local masonry supply house.

That is an incredible project. Quite an undertaking, and it looks like you've executed it very well. Definitely something to be proud of! Post a picture of a pizza cooking soon!

Yes, 42" modified Pompeii/Neapolitan style. Wanted a better balance between bread baking and pizza firing.

WOW That is beautiful You do awesome work Looking forward to see the products of your labor

Thanks, a better perspective on project can had on my "Recomendations wanted... " thread. There is also some more Pr0n there...
I will be firing it up this weekend and will share lots of Pr0n!

Dome insulation complete, more curing fires

The dome insulation is finished, now the wait for it to cure.
More small curing fires.
Fires are getting bigger.
Note the ash on the brick, there is still considerable moisture being drawn from the insulation layer into the brick.
As these fires grow and the dome reaches 900+ the dome will "clear" or turn nearly white.

Attachments

• pizza oven 051.jpg
    pizza oven 051.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 679
  • pizza oven 052.jpg
    pizza oven 052.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 678
  • pizza oven 053.jpg
    pizza oven 053.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 678
  • pizza oven 054.jpg
    pizza oven 054.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 679
Funny coincidence......You snapped a photo with 846F.

So did I a couple of years ago..lol..:

P1050259_zpsc61fad9f.jpg

Moisture coming out

Yes, I should point out that your dome is starting to or is already "clear".
Mine took three firings at about that temp to finally drive the remaining moisture out and "Clear" the first time.

Couple of photos of just how much moisture these things hold when their built.
I don't have a photo, but the area under the oven (wood storage area) had 1/8" of water in it!

The last photo shows it is now ready for the render phases.

Attachments

• pizza oven 072.jpg
    pizza oven 072.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 666
  • pizza oven 074.jpg
    pizza oven 074.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 668
  • pizza oven 076.jpg
    pizza oven 076.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 669
That is awesome. Thank you very much for sharing. Truly an inspiration.

Back