View Single Post
Old 10-17-2015, 08:27 PM   #1
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thumbs up My brisket method

Ive dubbed it "hot & slow"

Its important when developing a personal bbq style to do things that are comfortable and repeatable. Taking into account my flavor preference, sleep schedule, and when i like to eat brisket ive tailored a way of doing things that not only produces a great brisket but keeps the whole process enjoyable.

I much prefer Q from the stick burner but am not a fan of the all nighter. I also would rather eat brisket earlier than in the evening so starting early in the morning and running hot isnt best for me. In questing for a tender juicy brisket i was intrigued by how top Q joints hot hold their food for long periods. Soon the logical plan (for me) started to form.

The method is simple. After 4-6 hours on the offset, when its time to wrap, foil, or pan i switch over to the oven. This allows for 2 crucial things. 1st is sleep. I just feel better when i get some. I enjoy relaxing by the cooker having a beer but not until the sun comes up. 2nd is i can go low, giving time for the magic to happen. The okie joe just doesnt hold 225 very well for me. I get up early and check on it. Its not much for me to do as i tend to stir about every few hours anyway. Once its tender i can turn the oven down to hold for a few hours then rest in a cooler until lunch.

Heres the 14+lbs brisket i did last night.

I dont usually get them this big, it was a beast. I used my signature rub on it.

Ninja's Flash Powder
1 part Kosher salt
1 part coarse salt
3.5 parts Coarse black pepper
1 Lemon pepper
1 turbinado sugar
1 smoked paprika
.5 chipolte
.5 cayenne

A nice oak fire, wood courtesy of DD. I tried to maintain 275-300 on the dial.

After 5 hrs i had enough...and so did the brisket. Time to wrap

This time i used butcher paper. Ive had good results recently using a covered pan. It could be wrapped however you want, i suppose it doesnt have to even be wrapped.

I run 225 until it just starts to get tender than drop it down to 200 until i like it. Ill hold it at 180 for an hour or so before transfering immediately to a cooler where it can easily hold another 4 hrs.

The slow finish really gives a large window of perfection.

This way works for me. Its repeatable and more importantly its a process i can enjoy, one that fits my life. That is my advice, find what works for you and keeps you happy. Be it this way or your own.

Last edited by Ron_L; 12-18-2017 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: Fixed image links
smoke ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->