Custome Pits and Fab or a Lang

F14framer

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Good morning, so I have been trying to make up my mind as to which Lang smoker I wanted in my price range which had me narrowed down to the 36 Stretched runabout or the 48 Deluxe. Then I found the Custome Pits and Fabrications site and saw the Tailgater and the A1 Competition smoker. Found a thread on here talking about the issues thief old design had and that they have made improvements. Has anyone used both brands that could give some feedback or recommendations? Thanks y’all!

I can't give any feedback, but seems like a decent smoker if you're on a tight budget. Hope someone else has some advice, I'm kind of curious myself.

I have only used the A1 Competition Smoker which I use for catering and home cooking. Firebox is plenty big, so dismiss the old concerns. The only thing that has gone south is the grate inside the firebox, which has begun to fall apart after 6 years. She runs between 225 and 280 with a sweet spot at around 250.

I only recently constructed a shelter for the beast, so it has been exposed to the elements for the 6 years I have had it. Still solid.

My version has a firewood storage and gas fryer. At one end is a direct fire pit, although it is the least useful thing on the unit. If I had it to do again, I would take the option to "Add Griddle with lid and fold out prep area" and in the process lose the grill on the end. That adds another $1,800 to the total, but I have found no use whatever to the grill. Maybe you will have better luck.

Capacity
I have put 24 St. Louis ribs flat at once in the cooker and 16 butts at once.

Well after some internal debate I made my deposit for the A1 Competition smoker from Custom Pits in Georgia and will be driving down and picking it up late next week!

Ohhh anxiety has been building for a few weeks now since I got the ok from the wife to get a new smoker. It’s going to make the 16 hour round trip to get it seam like an eternity.

Ohhh anxiety has been building for a few weeks now since I got the ok from the wife to get a new smoker. It’s going to make the 16 hour round trip to get it seam like an eternity.
won't be so bad, just load up a big pile of wood and get it seasoning during the drive home!!! :thumb:

oh, and pics or it didn't happen!! :D

Got some wood today. Half oak half pecan. Now I just have to wait until Friday to pick up the new smoker....

Attachments

• 3308D4F2-D93D-4867-B8CF-D733963C1DD6.jpg
    3308D4F2-D93D-4867-B8CF-D733963C1DD6.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 512
Last edited:
Getting really anxious now. Start the trip to Georgia tomorrow to pick up the new pit Friday morning!

I have been curious about these template smokers. I’ve seen one in Tyler, TX 2 hours down the road. Did you get anything custom on that cooker?

I have been curious about these template smokers. I’ve seen one in Tyler, TX 2 hours down the road. Did you get anything custom on that cooker?

Just the split door. I’ve heard the single door model is very heavy due to the fact that the smoke chambers are 3/8 steel instead of 1/4”

And just my luck not even 5 min into trip I catch a rock in the windshield and am now sitting at safelite auto glass waiting on a windshield replacement. Ole this is not a sign of things to come lol...

I maybe mistaken ,but seems I remember you could get smoker over at Ivor Va. the place was called custom pit and fabrication. I know it is a little late but I think it is the same design and they maybe the same company.So you might be able to work something out tonot take the long trip.

I maybe mistaken ,but seems I remember you could get smoker over at Ivor Va. the place was called custom pit and fabrication. I know it is a little late but I think it is the same design and they maybe the same company.So you might be able to work something out tonot take the long trip.

Yeah I looked into that. It was the same company but they closed that location.

Back