• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Shaved/sliced beef and chicken?

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Is there a way to shave or slice beef so thinly it would be appropriate to use for Mongolian style BBQ on my flat-top grill?

I'd like to be able to cook it with some sauces and vegetables the way they do it in Mongolian BBQ restaurants.

Thoughts?

I know a professional style slicer is likely the answer, but are there any alternatives, and if not, any recommendation on which one to purchase?

A slicer, or a really sharp, quality knife, and some skill. But by the time you go out and spend a few hundred dollars on a knife to do the job, you may be better off spending it on a slicer instead.

If you already have a pretty good knife, one tip to help you get those really thin slices by hand is to put the meat in the freezer for a while before cutting so it firms up. Not frozen solid, but you want it to be very firm so the meat doesn't deform when you're trying to cut it.

there are 2 slice thickness; paper thin for cheese steak or shabu shabu. Or a thicker slice for korean bbq. mongolian bbq is in between. start with a roast not a steak. have it semi frozen, use a long slicer knife or meat slicer. I use my chef's choice deli meat slicer for this.

If I get one of the Cebellas dealios can I cut raw meat ok on it? Should I still freeze it partially using the slicer?

Sorry, I am definitely a slicer newbster.

Even if you use a deli slicer you must still semi freeze so that it is firm enough to get a paper thin slice. Cooked or cured deli meats are drier and less squishy to
begin with. I use it for raw meats. Just clean it thoroughly with soap after each use. I got my chef choice online for under a hundred bucks on sale, one of the best purchases ever.
If you do do this, you'll need to fit a griddle over your grill.

Even if you use a deli slicer you must still semi freeze so that it is firm enough to get a paper thin slice. Cooked or cured deli meats are drier and less squishy to
begin with. I use it for raw meats. Just clean it thoroughly with soap after each use. I got my chef choice online for under a hundred bucks on sale, one of the best purchases ever.
If you do do this, you'll need to fit a griddle over your grill.

Thanks for the info!

I won't need to fit a griddle over the grill I'll be using. :grin:

http://www.blackstoneproducts.com/prodinfo/36griddle_backyard.html

I've had this same question on my mind recently as well. I have goog knives. not specifically for this purpose but honed in and sharp as hell.

So you harden it up in the freezer a bit. Is this after right after smoking and rest or longer after? I also hear everyone saying cut against the grain. Is there a set way to determine this on any cut of meat? Thinking of trying this with a sirloin tip, but also have other big cuts I may try it with. I think of cutting a steak and can't determine a direction of the grain. thanks for any/all help.

Back