Another Foodie is Born Party! First Brethren lifelineYup....

Ashmont

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Now that said she has used her first Brethren lifeline!!!! She has been trained by me on different forms of cooking.:bow: I have told her about the site and she is lurking.:pray: She with the help of me are going to put a party for 10 at her house. The deal here is that there are people that thinks maybe she cant pull it off:boxing: but I know better! :drama: The lifeline consists of from start to finish suggestions.... From a beginning beverage, Appetizers, Salad, Main course, dessert! She has said that there is a donation to this site which I am holding in escrow for all of the suggestions until Feb. when the party happens with pics! So waddup lets help this new Sista! I am sure some Brethren gear will be in the house that night.... So if you were planning this party what will you serve? 5 couples 10 people... Oh hint there also a hotub that hold 15!:shock:....:becky:

It's couples, so nothing that will get people dirty.

The name of the game is to have everything staged before people get there.

For apps some cheese (baked brie, smoked, maybe some smoked cream cheese), bang-bang shrimp off the barbie, and an aperitif.

Dinner... rack of lamb, roasted fingerling potatoes (garlic, butter, salt, pepper, and fresh parsley), grilled butternut squash, some GOOD bread. White Burgandy, as good as you can afford.

Dessert... assorted tray with chocolate fondue. People have to be careful with fondue. Coffe drink, think Kahlua and cream with coffee.

This is a great start! It will be her decision of what to do but definite pron post and final menu! I will be there only for Mortal support and a little help.

Her first decision! MOINKS as an appetizer! Now between Fatties and ABT's ? She is shying away from the ABT's due to heat factor that some guests may not like.

Still on the table:

baked brie
Smoked Salmon
rack of lamb
roasted fingerling potatoes (garlic, butter, salt, pepper, and fresh parsley
grilled butternut squash
GOOD bread.
White Burgundy Pino Grizio and or a stiff red (might be a serve yourself wine bar) Since the couples do not have to pay for the party might just be suggested pick a bottle of wine you like and bring it for the Hostess
Dessert... assorted tray with chocolate fountain
Coffee
After dinner drink (Kahlua and cream with coffee suggested)

Remember she has the final decision. Thanks keep the ideas coming she is watching and having a ball that all of you are helping her....

I have been doing bacon wrapped dates stuffed with feta. The I thin out some sauce glaze them.

Her first decision! MOINKS as an appetizer! Now between Fatties and ABT's ? She is shying away from the ABT's due to heat factor that some guests may not like.

I find that if you've properly gutted the japs and then rinse in cold water, there is usually little heat left... I made finger foods for 150 guest at my friends wedding, ABT's were on the list that he wanted, I made 100 of em and they were gone in no time!!
...and I was afraid that I would have left overs due to people "not liking hot stuff"... I wouldn't write them off completely!

I would however have her make a few to sample and then decide if they are too hot.

In my opinion, ABTs are too good not to offer - like Knucklhed said, if you deseed/de-vein the peppers, the heat is almost unnoticeable.

Still not convinced? Bacon wrapped shrimp would go well.

Ooo! I found the perfect gutting tool for the job at my local Kitchen supply shop - a table crumber!

I got a SS one for about $1.50, it's about the width and arc of my thumbnail. When you cut off the stem of the pepper you can poke it in and twist it around until the whole core comes loose! :clap2:

Sorry! Thought I'd share... :becky:

http://www.crumber.com/table-crumber.html

Guess I was going to formal. :(

If smoked meat is on the table..... sirloin or tri-tip is nice and comes in at a GOOD price point.

Price not a problem.... vodka steamers are great and super easy. Halibut/swordfish steak are made for the grill.

Remember, if hottubbing is the plan, limit sausage and hot foods.

Ooo! I found the perfect gutting tool for the job at my local Kitchen supply shop - a table crumber!

I got a SS one for about $1.50, it's about the width and arc of my thumbnail. When you cut off the stem of the pepper you can poke it in and twist it around until the whole core comes loose! :clap2:

Sorry! Thought I'd share... :becky:

http://www.crumber.com/table-crumber.html

usually i make abt "boats" but if i just core the pepper i use my already paid for tater peeler.
also, if you soak the peppers in sprite for an hour it's strips the heat & oil but leaves the pepper crisp.:thumb:

Last edited:
Awesome can you post a pic for her?

Nope. They are gone before I can get a camera near them.

I am going to start experimenting with different cheeses. I bought some Parmesan and Asiago. I bought the dates at RD. They are right inside the door when you walk in the cooler. It was 1lb of pitted dates for about $4.50.

I think the sweet of the date and the salty of the bacon go well together. I would also make the glaze good and sweet because of the salty cheese. But they are great on a toothpick.

Cheers,
Nate

I thought "foodies" were a bad thing...

Uhm no that is cooties! I'm letting her go with the ideas. I have a feeling its going to be a taste around the world party. She wants to practice Hot n Sour Soup! I am sure all will come together just still looking at options.

I would do the ABT's !!!
Smoke a meatloaf, it will be like nothing they had before. Ribs with your favorite rub and have sauce on the side if they want it. Scallops and or shrimp wrapped with bacon, skewered and grilled.

Sides fresh green beans with halved cherry tomatoes(give them a squeeze after you cut to get most of the seeds out) fresh chopped garlic, to your liking, add evoo to coat, kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. bake @350 to your liking. Looks and tastes good.
Grilled butternut squash
Fresh grilled vegetable mix, Squash, peppers,onion, ect...
Slaw, I would recommend Johns (Patio Daddio) make it 1 day ahead for best taste
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91505

Smoked fish dip, Captain's wafers, heat on the side.

Should it be a foodie is born or a foodie is bron?

I know it sounds wierd, but as the meal soup, how about a cold melon soup with anise foam?

Puree a skinned cantaloupe sans seeds with a bit of sweet cream added to make it a thinner consistency. Chill the soup. Simply make a foam with egg whites (meringue) with anise oil added to mixture. Serve the soup in martini glasses topped with the anise foam. It is fantastic.

Back