• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pork Butt-make ahead for super bowl party?

ButtBurner

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
We are having a super bowl pot luck luncheon on Fri, Feb 1st at work.

I was thinking about bringing pulled pork, but the only day I can cook it would be this coming Saturday

I have a vac sealer, could I just freeze it until then?

And if so, should I leave it whole and freeze it, then thaw and put it in the oven the night before and pull it?

Or should I pull it then freeze it?

Or some other way?

Or just forget it. I dont have to bring it. I have not committed yet.

I am open to suggestions.

thanks

no problem...cook it up, pull...add your spice / sauce...vac pack it, only 1 week so freeze not nesc ....use a crock pot to warm up and you will be the hit of the party..

I find it helps if you add a little Apple Juice in the package before you seal it – it helps with the moisture.

I routinely vac pac & freeze BBQ for up to a couple months (cause I have a bad habit of cooking more than my crew can eat at one sitting). I would go ahead and pull it before freezing, but I try to leave pieces a little on the larger side. John Bowen hit the mark, add a little apple juice, either to the vac bag or when you warm it up. I warm in a foil or SS 1/2 pan with a 3/8x3/8 grid rack to keep the meat off the bottom and about a 1/2-1 cup of apple juice, sealed tight with foil in a 225 oven. I like BigBellyBbq's idea of the crock pot, going to try that! Only problem I've ever had was with fine chopped carolina style - turned to a nasty mush in the freezer & reheat.

thats good, thanks!

If I dont have to freeze it then I wont.

On the crock pot, thats how I was going to present it. Its perfect for a pot luck where people will be coming and going

I like the apple juice idea!

I always pull before freezing. Makes reheating easier. Vac seal and freeze or maybe just refrigerate for only a week. When you reheat, add a splash of apple juice for moisture and sprinkle a very light amount of dry rub on your pulled pork. That seems to enhance the flavor even more.

Definitely use the apple juice, I didn't know of this trick when I started and often unfroze my pulled pork and had to reheat in bbq sauce to hide how it got a bit dry

Pull it, juice it, refrigerate it. It WILL have a smokier flavor when it's reheated in the crock pot. Go light on the smoke. ..

Sent from my GS3 via Tapatalk 2

Cook it saturday, let it rest and pull as usual and then vacuum seal it up. I did the exact same thing a few weeks ago for my boy's baptism. I thawed the pork out a day or two a head of time in the fridge and then heated them up in a pot of water on the stove before putting them in the crock pot on the "warm" setting. If you need a little extra moisture, add some apple juice as others have said. I didn't end up having to add anything to mine when I did it and it turned out great!

If you add AJ to the bag before you freeze it I would at the very least chill the bags while they're unsealed or even freeze them for awhile. I know my vac sealer doesn't do too well with juice getting sucked out while vac sealing. It's not good for the machine or for getting a good seal.

I pull in a pan and let sit overnight in the fridge so all the fat/juices solidify and then vacuum pack the next day. reheat in water bath. apple juice works great for keeping it moist through out the day

Like above - no freeze, a bit of apple juice.

Prepare to have everybody at work begging you to bring in more every week.

The no freeze is a simple issue. You have fully cooked your meat and are vacuum packing it. It obviously has a longer shelf life than fresh meat. How long is vacuum packed fresh meat held in a refrigerator without issues.
So do not freeze.
John

Last edited:
The no freeze is a simple issue. You have fully cooked your meat and are vacuum packing it. It obviously has a longer shelf life than fresh meat. How long is vacuum packed fresh meat held in a refrigerator without issues.
So do not freeze.
John

got it!!!

thanks!!!

I also add AJ, but then I add a small bit of apple cider vinegar which adds a very subtle tang that I have gotten lots of compliments on. Good luck!

ok!!!

here we are...party is tomorrow.

Pork has been vac sealed since Sunday morn when I pulled it

In the pic, I have left to right

Billy Bones BBQ sauce, Carolina Red Sauce from Smoke and Spice, a KC Masterpiece blend I like, Finishing Sauce and Apple Juice.

All I need is the cheap white buns, someone else is bringing the cole slaw

I think I am ready!!!!

Last edited:
I want to thank you guys for all your help and suggestions.

The potluck lunch was today.

The pork was a big hit.

I used a little apple juice and also some finishing sauce made from cider vinegar, sugar, Tony Chachere's and a few other things I cant think of right now.

It was gone almost right away, long before the chicken chili, tortilla soup, fried chicken and pizza others brought

appreciate it

Back