How good is your BBQ sauce?

DUBBAGA

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I just received an email this morning from www.bbqsaucereviews.com announcing "The Saucekers", a BBQ Sauce Competition.

The sauce submission date just opened today, January 24, 2014, and will run through August 4, 2014. I would love to see some Brethren winning, as a number of them have commercially packaged sauces already.

http://saucekers.com/

A few years ago, I spent a winter experimenting w/ making my own sauce. When it was all said and done, I have about 7 quarts of bland, boring, indistinguishable BBQ sauce that eventually made it's way down the kitchen sink. Never again! :-D

Brian and Jay know what they are doing on sauce. I know, I am a collector and at this point I am up over 800 different from around the country. I have been following them on BBQ Sauce reviews for quite a few years - don't always agree - but whatever.

Brian and Jay know what they are doing on sauce. I know, I am a collector and at this point I am up over 800 different from around the country. I have been following them on BBQ Sauce reviews for quite a few years - don't always agree - but whatever.

Thanks! We appreciate it! :)

I just received an email this morning from www.bbqsaucereviews.com announcing "The Saucekers", a BBQ Sauce Competition.

The sauce submission date just opened today, January 24, 2014, and will run through August 4, 2014. I would love to see some Brethren winning, as a number of them have commercially packaged sauces already.

http://saucekers.com/

DUBBAGA,

Thanks so much for the post on our upcoming Sauce Competition, The Saucekers! We really appreciate it!

Brian Henderson has been working hard on this for a while now, so we are really excited about it. This Sauce Competition will be a great way for all those wanting to get their BBQ Sauce out there and noticed by a lot of people.

Also if you're a big fan of the Thermapen like I am (Own 5 of them lol), make sure to check out the Thermapen and Sauce Giveaway we have going on for the next week on our Facebook Page.

Thanks again! :)
Jay Prince

I might send a sample of my fruity, spicy, smoky, tomato with some heat based sauce.Most of my fruit from my trees and plants will be ripe by late July and timing maybe right.As far as marketing it would be way too expensive to produce my sauce but maybe interesting to see what the judges would think.

Thanks so much for the post on our upcoming Sauce Competition, The Saucekers! We really appreciate it!

Brian Henderson has been working hard on this for a while now, so we are really excited about it. This Sauce Competition will be a great way for all those wanting to get their BBQ Sauce out there and noticed by a lot of people.

Also if you're a big fan of the Thermapen like I am (Own 5 of them lol), make sure to check out the Thermapen and Sauce Giveaway we have going on for the next week on our Facebook Page.

Thanks again! :)
Jay Prince
No worries Jay, I had no idea that you were a part of bbqsaucereviews.com. I only wish that there was a non-commercial category for most of us to enter.

I am a Thermapen fan, but not a Facebook fan, so no Giveaway participation for me

No worries Jay, I had no idea that you were a part of bbqsaucereviews.com. I only wish that there was a non-commercial category for most of us to enter.

I am a Thermapen fan, but not a Facebook fan, so no Giveaway participation for me

From what I remember reading, most of the big BBQ Sauce Competitions such as the National BBQ Association Awards of Excellence, Gettin Sauced, American Royal BBQ Event, National BBQ Festival, and the Scovie Awards, all require that the sauces be commercially available to the public.

The Saucekers BBQ Sauce Competition will be a great way for small batch sauce makers to get their product out there and noticed by a lot of people. :)

Thanks again DUBBAGA for sharing this info!

~Jay Prince

Last edited:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99442&highlight=infernooo

But then I see you're the last poster, so you've seen it...

My experience has been this: Sauce that usually wins sauce contests doesn't actually compliment BBQ very well. I've published how we came into our competition sauce many times here, but the short version is that we made a TON of sauces and a TON of our BBQ and with 12 people we judged them all. For fun we took bets at the start as to which would work best. We ALL lost those bets. We bet on great tasting sauces. 100% of them conflicted with the BBQ or overpowered it severely, or both.

That's all aside from the sauce contest. Do it, have fun, kick butt, win it! But be careful using it on your BBQ...

I think I'll repack a Bottle of SBR with a Drop of Honey & a Pinch of salt and pack it off.:p

I am new here what bbq sauce is preferred here

LOL at "here". Where is "here"?

In brethren, like in most BBQ areas, if it's done very well, the preference of sauce is, overwhelmingly:

NONE

Even my wife prefers it with NONE. We do keep stocked some Blues Hog Tennessee Red. It's the only one I use straight up. Also stocked is Head Country (for hamburgers, hotdogs, and brunswick stew), Blues Hog Original (for mixing into my sauce that we use on BBQ and in competitions), and mixed up is our competition sauce, Shack Attack (see recipe in brethren.com), and some of what we call "Pot Luck", which is just all the left-overs thrown together and isn't bad either.

Back