Stoker Wireless Hookup?

N

ncbbqfan

I have ordered a Stoker for my cooker and was searching for a forum that could inform me on the best way to hook it up wirelessly via a wireless bridge to my laptop. I found one thread in here on that but could you give me the links to others because I know this is a subject that mush have been covered pretty well in here. I want to bone up before it gets here. Thanks.

wireless router with stoker software in your pc type in the ip address and boom you are in lol

Apple airport express($99)! A little expensive but super small and now power cord, the prongs come right out of the unit.

I'm the "Super Chicken" of the BBQ world...

(if your old enough to remember Super Chicken..."He's everywhere, he's everywhere")

Are these Mac compatible?

Can they be hooked up to any smoker? I have a Lang and a large BGE, but am having an 8x5 smoker redone...really want to know if I could use these on the Lang and the new smoker. Anybody know?

Are these Mac compatible?

Can they be hooked up to any smoker? I have a Lang and a large BGE, but am having an 8x5 smoker redone...really want to know if I could use these on the Lang and the new smoker. Anybody know?

Is "what" Mac compatible? The Stoker? Sure, it just serves up a webpage. You can even use your smartphone or ipod.

It'll work with almost any cooker. You just have to buy the correct blower adapter for each of your cookers.

Is "what" Mac compatible? The Stoker? Sure, it just serves up a webpage. You can even use your smartphone or ipod.

It'll work with almost any cooker. You just have to buy the correct blower adapter for each of your cookers.

Thanks...I was looking at the BBQ Guru device and it seemed that the software was PC-only (not interested in using BootCamp, etc.).

I have been wanting to get something like this and won't have the chance to see or use one until it actually arrives.

I went and got a Lynksys that was flashed with DD-WRT that I found on Craiglist. DD-WRT works much better than the Lynksys software that it comes with.

When at home, I configure it for bridge and it works weirlessly over my home network. When I'm at a competition, I configure it as an access point, and monitor with iPhone or Netbook.

I can save and restore these configurations so once done, I just reload which ever configuration I need, and whallah

The Stoker works extremely well in my Mac setup. Connections to go wireless to my home network and the internet (my iphone, or any computer anywhere) were very easy and took minutes to set up.

While the Stoker can be monitored and controlled without StokerLog, this software is very handy for logging a cook. StokerLog is not Mac compatible. i thought that I would not bother trying to get StokerLof to work, and that I would be perfectly happy with the Stoker's control and Twitter support on the Stoker webpage, but I ended up really liking StokerLog. So, I use Parallels to get a Windows environment on my machine, and then run StokerLog. It's not necesary, but it does increase the utility of the Stoker.

Here's a thread I started when I first got my Stoker:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71866

This is an example of what StokerLog looks like:

4177160955_728d906161_o.png

And if you make a Twitter account (mine is Stoke_Me), you can get the Stoker to Tweet you at regular intervals with your pit/food temps:
4091550584_f71b3134c2_o.png

Mark

I have a simple linksys wireless bridge I use to connect my Stoker wirelessly to my home network. The only I problem I have is with temperature. The linksys doesn't like to function in heat >85 or < 40.
Stokerlog is written and provide for free from a 3rd party, and is an additional piece of software that works with the Stoker to log your cooks. Stokerlog is PC only.

It should be noted that the Apple Airport Express does not work with many wireless routers. In fact, if you want it to work with your Linksys wireless router you will have to purchase a third party firmware to hack your router to work properly. I'm still trying to get this to work because I too like the compact size of the Airport Express. I'll let you know if it works.

It should be noted that the Apple Airport Express does not work with many wireless routers. In fact, if you want it to work with your Linksys wireless router you will have to purchase a third party firmware to hack your router to work properly. I'm still trying to get this to work because I too like the compact size of the Airport Express. I'll let you know if it works.
AWWWW man..... I just ordered one for this reason..:doh: this thread is a quite a few months old, t6nsmit have you been able to figure anything else out?? I'm using a Linksys WRT110 wireless router.

I just got my stoker and am having problems accessing it wirelessly (via gaming / ethernet) adapter. When I pull the IP address from the unit and plug it in I get a time out error in my browser. Same thing happens if I plug it directly into my wireless router via ethernet. I am unable to get to the setup screen. Anyone experienced this before, or have thoughts as to what is causing the problem? The IP address that pops up is 192.168.000.023 - not sure if that is just a factory number, or if it is really pulling it down. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I am trying to get it functional prior to 4th cook.

Regards,

JGM

Last edited by a moderator:
The ip address you're getting should be one it's pulling via dhcp. Just to be sure, you can reset the stoker to make sure it's using dhcp by changing the first set of numbers in your ip addy to 255 on the stoker and then hit select. The stoker will reset to dhcp and pull down a new ip, you may have to restart the stoker, but at that point you know you're using dhcp.

I've got no idea why you're not able to access the setup screen, you should be able to if you're seeing an ip addy. When my stoker doesn't get an ip address via dhcp I see all zeros. (000.000.000.000). You may have to call Rocks.

Back